Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

360, yes/no
Yes (give reason) 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
No (give reason) 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Is it worth getting an Xbox 360?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:08 pm 
Chaos Marine

Now I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the 360, their flaws and their pros so I was wondering (Imperator knows why I came to you guys ;) ) are they really worth it?

At the moment RL is playing hell with me and has delivered me with lots of stuff I want but no money to buy it with and no jobs near where I live to get the money to buy the stuff I want. So catagoricaly I should be looking for a job instead of asking if the 360 is any good, but tomorrow I am going job hunting so that will aliviate my money problem, thus fixing a problem that I had in the first place.

/Jack Sparrow moment off.

Any way, from a friend I have heard (and played I'll admit) that they are good (par from the weird controler) but are there any common falts that never come to public eye as it were, which could put someone off buying them.

Your opinions please, me fellow Fok'ers.

Steam ID: cpt_uriel_ventris (shows up as First-Captain Ventris).

Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting an Xbox 360?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:15 pm 
Fallen from grace

there are a few minor problems, mostly that have been ironed out now, but the warranty is usually good. ive only had to replace mine once, and that was with warranty.

it was something to do with the diskdrive, it was a common thing back then but you wont see it much now. aside from that, everything else has been fine.

it is a little bit noisy (maybe less than average computer hum), but if your not too bothered with it then its a fairly decent console.

mines a basic 360, not the elite or other some such thing. haha

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 pm 
Infernal Tester

haha. the only people who don't like Xbox's are the people who play other consoles. The controler feesl really good when you get use to it. If you get the Elite version with more space, you can download your games onto the console, this makes them run silently. And the "red rings of death" only happen if you play you Xbox in a box, which has heaters...

The real differance between Xbox and PS is the games. Im a shooter kind of guy and the PS can't compair to the xbox with "my" kind of game. Its all very personal :lol: .

I would maybe wait a month and get the newly refurbished Xbox 360's :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 pm 
Chaos Marine

that's Probably 'cos I'm a pc player through and through, 'cos I grew up with it. And I played it once or twice and you kinda get used to the controller but its mainly quite difficult to being with.

Horus the noise level is the least of my concernes ;) , my pc is technically old with all the internal..stuff and is quite noisy but I have since grown used to it and it is strange the silence you hear when is off (I'm on my laptop now).
And all I want is the basic one but I am also wondering (after doing a bit more looking) what size hard drive would I need? I won't have that many games, the only ones I'll get is Halo: 3, Halo: Reach and W40K Space Marines and maybe one or two more if they catch my eye.

And "red rings of death"?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
Excommunicate Traitorus

well i can recommend the ps3 as you get a bluray player with it and online play doesn't cost anything. plus it has a good amount of nice exclusive games like God of War, Killzone2, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, etc.

anyway, the xbox (especially the new slim version as it has built-in wifi and 250gig HD) is not too shabby either so you can't really do much wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:45 pm 
Civilian

nope i have a ps3 and its free internet

if you want to pay u get free betas before anyone else (including Xbox) and discount map packs and other DLCs

In may there are regional painting competitions - the silver snotling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:32 am 
Sacrifice

I have a 60gb and it's served me well. That said, if you have a PC that can play Xbox quality games, just get a wired controler and use that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:45 am 
Civilian

Bottomline...

360:

Pros: better software with moderate hardware, enough to play ever game with incredible speed and graphics providing your television is HD compatible. Xbox have more sells meaning more players to play with. More games for xbox and xbox seems to be in the lead in technology with their new motion sensor controllers *THEY KILLED WII AND BURNED IT TO THE GROUND

Cons: Super prone to hackers... HACK HACK HACK OMG if you play popular games like Mw2. 10 bucks a month, however you get better features and game makers seem to love xbox. For instance, ever single map pack for mw2 are one month earlier for them than the rest. They can break easily if you don't take care of it like your own baby.

PS3:

Pros: Better hardware, some games don't really require that much anyway. Blue ray!!!!!!, but really I don't see the glory in that when each blu ray movie disc cost so much. However if you like blu ray, than go for PS3, cheapest blu ray player around. Slightly better noticeable speed if you compare it to xbox. Graphics are slightly better playing normal television than xbox but almost the same playing in HD comparing to xbox. FREE ONLINE EXPERIENCE :D

Cons: less sells meaning less players, not much cons really. Online features are less than those of xbox

NOTE: buy what your friend have, if your friends have an xbox buy an xbox.

NOTE: I own an XBOX for 5 months and in perfect condition

NOTE: this thread can be slightly bs, if you feel that i missed something feel free to addddddd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:03 am 
Infernal Tester

Well if your looking for good games, the PS3's selection of games is full of high-quality stuff without the meaningless games that waist your money. Most of the players online aren't pathetic little kids, however, it's online lacks in comparison to the Xbox 360's in the amount of players.

The Xbox has the same amount of good games as the PS3, but selecting them can be tricky since they're buried beneath mediocre games. It's online community is healthy, but you will encounter more people with no microphones or are annoying. That and hackers... ugh.

The PS3's hardware is definately than the Xbox 360's hardware. It's graphics are amazing, but you have to have the TV that can handle the graphics for it to work. Same thing goes with blu ray. Otherwise, it's just an Xbox 360 that costs more. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are coming out with motion controllers. With an extra cost of course.

All in all though, I have a 360 and it's worked great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 am 
Civilian

Archive wrote:
Most of the players online aren't pathetic little kids,

Ahem my friend...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 am 
Excommunicate Traitorus

Quote:
More games for xbox and xbox seems to be in the lead in technology with their new motion sensor controllers *THEY KILLED WII AND BURNED IT TO THE GROUND
aha ha hahaha ahahahahahahah
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

yeah good one. follow the latest news. kinect seems to be incredible fail considering the input lag, maximum 2 players, you can't wear black clothes and you need to stand for it to work properly. more fail about to be revealed soon i guess.

Quote:
The Xbox has the same amount of good games as the PS3, but selecting them can be tricky since they're buried beneath mediocre games.
well 99% of all games come out for both platforms anyway. take a look at the few exclusive titles and see if there's anything that interests you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am 
Civilian

Patman42 wrote:
yeah good one. follow the latest news. kinect seems to be incredible fail considering the input lag, maximum 2 players, you can't wear black clothes and you need to stand for it to work properly.

Curses, Microsoft propaganda had fooled us again this is almost as worse as the Vista ads.

Calgar, just buy the console your friends have. No point really buying a console all your friends don't have. That's how I chose mine, so I can play with my buds on MW2 .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:00 am 
Chosen

Nothing wrong with Vista.

And the only thing the PS3 has over the 360 is the Blu-Ray player and some exclusive titles. ZOMG IT HAS BETTER HARDWAREZ . . . it's going to, it's a newer console (one could state it's a generation ahead of the 360).

My blog | Twitter | Steam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am 
Infernal Tester

in my personal opinion they are very good, i had my very first one break and they sent me a replacement the very next day (note i had to take the first xbox to game but its for the best)

it sucks about the £40 a year online fee but hll if i didn't have a 360 i would happily go out tommoz and get one :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:32 am 
Chaos Marine

£40 a year for online play? Hell I get it free with GFWL, but that's the thing I don't understand. Why do you have to pay?

And could I use my GFWL account for the 360? 'Cos I can log onto xbox homepage with it, so would it work with the 360.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm 
Civilian

Sabre wrote:
I have a 60gb and it's served me well. That said, if you have a PC that can play Xbox quality games, just get a wired controler and use that.

:D i got the last 60gig where i live loads of people were gutted ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
Infernal Tester

Calgar wrote:
£40 a year for online play? Hell I get it free with GFWL, but that's the thing I don't understand. Why do you have to pay?

And could I use my GFWL account for the 360? 'Cos I can log onto xbox homepage with it, so would it work with the 360.

i don't like paying either but it make you more keen to play to get ya moneys worth :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 pm 
Civilian

$40 a year isn't really much if you can afford to buy a console in the first place. Xbox live contains more features and better operating system compare to PS3. If your looking for gaming alone than I think you should go buy Xbox but if you think you might buy some expensive blu ray movies than buy a PS3 other than that I don't see the glory in PS3. I maybe wrong...but that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:16 pm 
Excommunicate Traitorus

Quote:
other than bluray I don't see the glory in PS3.
other than ... ehm basically nothing I don't see the glory in Xbox either. :P

nobody's talking about glory. both systems are equally good in both hard- and software when it comes to gaming, they have the same price. both have advantages and disadvantages.

Quote:
$40 a year isn't really much if you can afford to buy a console in the first place.
in 5 years that's 200$. almost a new game console. but it all depends on gaming philosophy. i would also never play WoW because of the monthly fees. and i don't see why you would want to pay for something that every other gaming console/computer has for free.

But if you have the money, go for it.

btw: you're planning on getting the new xbox slim right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:36 pm 
Civilian

PS3 and Xbox are both excellent console with their own little perks. It really depend on what your friend plays if you have any to begin with :). I own an Xbox and loving it, some few hackers but I can just quit and find another game. Speaking game wise, I personally believe xbox over PS3 since game developers seem to love Xbox. Xbox have more features over PS3 but it's only useful if you actually use you mic if you don't than your just wasting 10 bucks a month.

Patman42 wrote:
btw: you're planning on getting the new xbox slim right?

Until my current Xbox dies pat the man. Decent hard specs but probably not going to buy, my gut feeling is telling to wait for Xbox 720 or whatever the next console is going to be.

By the way, what games you own on your PS3?

EDIT: where the hell is calgar to give his opinion on this matter?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:03 pm 
Excommunicate Traitorus

Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, Modern Warfare 2, Little Big Planet, Red Dead Redemption, Blur, Unreal Tournament 3. not many i know but most games i rent for free at the video store where i work so I've played/tested most games :)

and quite obviously my question about the xbox slim was directed at the OP and not you whatdefish :P

Quote:
I personally believe xbox over PS3 since game developers seem to love Xbox
that was true in perhaps the first two years when ps3 and xbox360 came out. you could for example see big differences graphics wise on old games as the ps3 versions were not exactly perfectly adjusted to the ps3.

that is not the case anymore.

Quote:
Xbox have more features over PS3
like?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm 
Infernal Tester

Just GET BOTH.

:lol:
and stop holywars... it's more the matter of personal preference than of performance since they have different game sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:54 pm 
Chaos Marine

WhatDehFish wrote:
EDIT: where the hell is calgar to give his opinion on this matter?

Watching you two bicker 'cos that's how I roll ;) , and looking for a cheep-ish 360 and the games I would like to get. Just generally totaling up what I want to how much its gona' cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm 
Civilian

Exclusives for Xbox 360 come from: Microsoft games, Activision
Exclusives for PS3 come from: EA games (in winter this year) ubisoft (autumn this year) sony computer entertainment

that means a lot more exclusives will be coming from Sony later this year and its gonna continue throguht sonys lifetime atm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 pm 
Infernal Tester

well im tradin in my 360 for a slim line one for me 20th bday cuz they look dam sexy and with the ammount of money they knock of id be daft not too!

Plus wireless built in so i can connect to sky and watch sky, beautiful ;D

Least till next year till i move to devon. (hopefuly fingers crossed tightly there!)

But i really would any way even if it sa basic white one the games are still mint and if u have a plasama tv like maself get the hdtv leed have been playin red dead redemption for ages on it and it all looks so amazin!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 pm 
Infernal Tester

I've had a 360 for 4 years, no red ring of death for me. The PS3 and 360 are about the same, the one who gets released second has more features, I swear I once remembered that I couldn't find the cord for the normal Xbox to play in as there was one or two Xbox's and a couple more playstations, the other xbox was in use as was a playstation(2), I figured out that the playstation had the xbox cord to the TV not the PS2 cord!

IMO Sony and Micorsoft should just merge Playstation and Xbox, they're trying to rip each other off to much.

As for motion controls, according to Yahtzee they're **** and I don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars to find out, Playstation is just adding a Wii ripoff and Microsoft is trying to make a **** system already more ****.

Gorb wrote:
Nothing wrong with Vista.

Other then being unstable.

Gorb wrote:
And the only thing the PS3 has over the 360 is the Blu-Ray player and some exclusive titles. ZOMG IT HAS BETTER HARDWAREZ . . . it's going to, it's a newer console (one could state it's a generation ahead of the 360).

And it has free internet. As for Blu-Ray, you have to remember, during the time the PS3 and the 360 were being released there used to be this thing my Micorsoft which was called HD DVD, a response to Blu-Ray, the 360 had a attachable HD DVD player you could buy, but eventually Blu-Ray killed HD DVD so now you can't get HD DVD anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Infernal Tester

Quote:
according to Yahtzee they're ****

you sir have my respect 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm 
Infernal Tester

Why, he's popular, isn't he?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:50 pm 
Infernal Tester

lol take a look at this!
http://au.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1 ... 1vs703l7js

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:12 pm 
Civilian

is this odd about Sony or what?

Resistance 3 hasn't been announced yet they put an advertisement for it in Chicago early last year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:23 pm 
Chosen

Warforger wrote:
Other then being unstable.
If you want to debate the merits and pitfalls of Vista go ahead and make a topic about it. I personally have found it to be incredibly stable and I haven't had problems with it.

r.e. the "free" Internet, I would've thought you either have to pay for the connection (unless Sony somehow has wireless receivers all over the world?).

Anyhow, can we stop with the off-topic? Further inane posts will lead to this thread getting locked. The OP has had input from a lot of the active posters around here anyway.

My blog | Twitter | Steam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:48 pm 
Civilian

Gorb wrote:
r.e. the "free" Internet, I would've thought you either have to pay for the connection (unless Sony somehow has wireless receivers all over the world?).

not only that but they produce games too, Sony Entertainment Europe and UK both make Resistance, the US one assists in Gran turisimo, and btw if u can't connect to the regional ones u connect to other recievers like EAs stuff (needed for BattleField and that lot) so whatever happens ur gonna get connection