Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weapon sounds
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:03 am 
Civilian

I don't know if this could help y'all but,I have some recordings of military weapons being fired during live fire excercises and during combat..I know I have the A-10 Thunderbolt's 30mmAvenger cannon firing on strafing runs. And I do have the USS New Jersey firing off her 16 inch guns. Some arty stikes too. If you are interested I could dig them up from my abyss of a basement..

Post subject: Re: Weapon sounds
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:09 am 
Cultist

Location: Well, lets just say you shouldn't look in your attic anymore.
Dude, think about when an earthshaker round hits, it could give a for really arty hit sound. /drool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:14 am 
Infernal Tester

Too bad we don't have any Vulcan Mega Bolters in FoK. I think the sound from an Avenger cannon would go great for one of those, seeing as how they are practically the same weapon.

--Ciaphas Cain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 am 
Infernal Tester

If you wouldn't mind digging those recordings up, we'd love to take a look (listen?) and see which sounds are appropriate for the mod. :)

Thanks very much for the offer!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm 
Civilian

: Sounds of thumping around in the dark abyss of Wulfe's basement: "Igor! Where's my black foot locker! Another thump. "OWWW! Damn jar of ears!! IGOR!!! Good hunch backs are hard to find. "Yes master it's next to the jars of fingers." I found it!"
: More thumping up the stairs and an Iron door closing:
Oh, Hi ya'll well after 2 or 3 days of searching, I found my footlocker full O sound tapes, now I have to transfer these sounds to my computer,and then to y'all..
You will love this,I also have radio traffic of us calling in airstrikes,arty,and the USS New Jersey..Oh and some of Myself and my team in firefights..And much,much more so, I need from you guys is,How to transfer this to my computer.And who to send these sounds to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
Infernal Tester

Wulfe Templar wrote:
I don't know if this could help y'all but,I have some recordings of military weapons being fired during live fire excercises and during combat..I know I have the A-10 Thunderbolt's 30mmAvenger cannon firing on strafing runs. And I do have the USS New Jersey firing off her 16 inch guns. Some arty stikes too. If you are interested I could dig them up from my abyss of a basement..

Ohh, the the Warthog would be great for the likes of a Punisher Leman Russ if not Terminator Assault Cannons.
:D

Got any thing in a Mk-19 with the Thump-boom to maybe use for a Flash Git guns or Loota Deff guns?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
Infernal Tester

Wulfe Templar wrote:
I need from you guys is,How to transfer this to my computer.And who to send these sounds to.

These records are on what? Cassette tapes? CD's? ... records?

If they're on CD's, then it should be as simple as just popping the CD into your drive, starting up Windows Media Player or similar and then Ripping the appropriate tracks onto your hard drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 pm 
Sacrifice

Wulfe I'm pretty sure your the coolest vet I've met/read internet posts of in a long time.

The demographics are depressing, so get to baby-making.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 pm 
Civilian

Quote:
These records are on what? Cassette tapes? CD's? ... records?

If they're on CD's, then it should be as simple as just popping the CD into your drive, starting up Windows Media Player or similar and then Ripping the appropriate tracks onto your hard drive

Oh, sorry they are on digital tapes. 24 years worth of the most nasty combat audio you all would care to hear. Your ears will BLEED!!!! All brought to you by our sponser The U.S.Marines, and Navy you know our motto,"We meet people and kill them."
Naa man its all on digtal tapes I thought I was clear in my second post.. But yea I can do it but I want to know what programs to use...I'm not hurting in the money department so I can buy the programs..These tapes are top of the line by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 pm 
Sacrifice

firefight tapes could be ambient sounds with Imperial Guard. although "down that fucking towelhead!" would sound funny in WH40K.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:54 pm 
Infernal Tester

Actually you should be able to do some thing like make a zip or rar file and then upload to a filesharing site. I forget exactly what format the sound files are for DoW. I do recall it being some ting different then the likes of mp3's or any other more common sound file type. We had a sound guy, I just have not seen them around the boards in a while.

I will also point you to Audacity. That is a top notch freebie sound mixing software that is just fun to play with even if you are not going to only FoK around with sound. I have made use of it to do recording for demos and webcasts.

I would put Audacity as being to Pro Tools, what Gimp is to Photoshop.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:14 pm 
Civilian

Quote:
firefight tapes could be ambient sounds with Imperial Guard. although "down that fucking towelhead!" would sound funny in WH40K.

Nothing like that..I was with an anti-terrorist unit, our line was,"Target Down." But some stuff is pretty graphic..You hear me cussing up a storm to the Airforce for air support..I'm listening to them now.HEHEHEHEHEEE God this brings back old times..

Quote:
Actually you should be able to do some thing like make a zip or rar file and then upload to a filesharing site. I forget exactly what format the sound files are for DoW. I do recall it being some ting different then the likes of mp3's or any other more common sound file type. We had a sound guy, I just have not seen them around the boards in a while.

I will also point you to Audacity. That is a top notch freebie sound mixing software that is just fun to play with even if you are not going to only FoK around with sound. I have made use of it to do recording for demos and webcasts.

I would put Audacity as being to Pro Tools, what Gimp is to Photoshop

Thanks West..I'll get on it...I will leaving soon on my hunting trip, but,I soon as I settle in my new abode,I will get those to y'all..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:18 pm 
Infernal Tester

DoW sound files are .fda

Cagecrawler on Relic forums has a .wav to .fda converter, and I think it works for .mp3 to .fda as well.

Bah, I feel your anger over AFCon's and FO's. I have enough trouble with our own mortar FO's, although they've been taught their physics by a fucking monkey.

Still. It's good when a GR9 flies in dropping 2 tonne of HE on a strongpoint.

"Do Be Do Be Do": F. Sinatra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:37 am 
Civilian

Quote:
DoW sound files are .fda

Cagecrawler on Relic forums has a .wav to .fda converter, and I think it works for .mp3 to .fda as well.

Bah, I feel your anger over AFCon's and FO's. I have enough trouble with our own mortar FO's, although they've been taught their physics by a fucking monkey.

Still. It's good when a GR9 flies in dropping 2 tonne of HE on a strongpoint.

Yea,thanks for the info and for the hand on shoulder I don't know if you were and officer, but when your men look at you to pull something out of yer bag o tricks, you damn well better do something..Anywho there is one treat fer yer ears...A U.S.Marine special...It known as a Wraith..What's that you ask? It is a tricked out over hauled OV22 Osprey Made out to be a Mini Spooky Gunship with 20mm cannons ,and a 105mm in the tail...EVIL EVIL hhehehehehe. I am just now on my 5th tape..mmmmmm carnage...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:51 am 
Sacrifice

nice. so it's a mini-spectre gunship. OORAH!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 am 
Infernal Tester

Ahah, I doubt I'd be trusted with command of anyone. Nope. Only Mne Vaz Pembroke, 3rd Platoon (Assault), Charlie Co, 42 Commando.

Still, I'm in training Recce and have been a seconded Navy Diver, so I have a lot of business with working with them.

Giving coords to the FO's, then seeing the shells land 30 metres away from designation is fucking annoying. I know my map skills aren't the issues, so it's either the bellend FO's or the ArtCon Officers not knowing which way the winds blowing.

Best hardware I've ever got to use is a Viking. Boring as ****, it's like driving a goddamn Land Rover.

I'd love to here these sounds as well - could you pack up the originals as well with the file? Cheers mate!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 pm 
Civilian

@Vaz...Surething Chief,but it will take a bit though,Like I said,Im going Kodiak hunting for a while and I leave in 2 days.Just PM me your email address and also your real PO box or address and I can have copies of the tapes made and send them to you...Sounds like we more than likely chewed some of the same dirt..I was part of S.O.C.O.M. Unit designation 13..U.S.M.C. Well like I was Saying I'm going hunting with my new toy Model 96 Barrett .338 magnum Laupa..Those bears don't have a prayer...I'm craving Bearsteaks.Also I'm moving to Oregon to my new home I had build in 500 acres of nothing but Forrest..I'm retired I'm entitled...But as soon as I get settled and set up I'm on it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 pm 
Infernal Tester

Oof sounds nice ;)

Barretts are nice. Stick with my one-eight-eleven thankee tho ;). Barretts pull too heavy for me, and the first pressure is too light, second too hard and I still slap 'em, quite embarrassing. AWSM's are fine, though. Trained with them for 4 years though, so I should be ;D

Trouble over sending tapes is that I'm currently NFA, and couldn't trust mates not to go looking though my mail, so I'm more of a fan of email, if it's okay? Need to get myself settled properly, before I can do that stuff ;D Wouldn't trust the royal mail either tbh.

Bah, don't trust British Public Services full stop ;D

Enjoy your retirement, you've earnt it my man. 15 years for me to go, though. Not much prospect of a job post RM, not many people want a fishy on their floor staff ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:43 pm 
Civilian

I also wanted to add, that there's whole lotta firearms sounds in a series of great tactical turn-based strategies by Apeiron studio (E5, 7,62, 7,62 reloaded, Marauder). They are wav files. Lots of them. It is said, that they were acyually recorded on the firing range. Dunno, true or false, but one I know for sure-they sound really bangy, shooty and dakky, dat'z it! No heavy arty, though. Only firearms and grenades. I have in my possession the 7,62 game. So, if it is needed, you just tell me.