Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should Eldar models be made more slender
Yes, give us new Eldar NOW (troll option :D just for fun) 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
I would like slimmer Eldar eventualy (when there is time) 48%  48%  [ 19 ]
Eldar are good as they are 40%  40%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: Eldar infantry models
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am 
Civilian

Hi everyone!

In this topic, I'd like to discuss Eldar infantry models in FoK.
By looking at them, I can't shake the feeling that they mere modeled to look exactly the same as TT models, and not like what Eldar actually look like (Example: Codex and other official art)

Comparison:

TT Model:
-Somewhat stocky (for an Eldar)
-Head is too big (it is just tall enough, but its too wide, and face is too big)
-Weapons are way oversized
Image:

Art:
-Limbs are longer and thinner
-Weapons are normal sized
-Overall leaner and more slender look

Now, I know this mod's policy is to go closer to codex and everything, but codex art is also codex, and some other races actually got realistic proportions (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau).

Note: I don't want this topic to be seen as: "Give us new Eldar models...NOW", because it is not. I know you guys have a huge ToDo list, and have much more important things on you minds. I also know that Eldar models as they are are actually very nice, especially when new textures arrive. But I would very much like to see Eldar models a bit leaner and more slender-Eldar looking as they should be, if (or when) there is time or will of course.

With respect to the team, keep up the good work.

P.S. Don't forget to post your votes in the poll. I would like to see what other people think on the matter, even if they don't want to add a comment.

P.P.S. I know that second Art picture is Prince Yriel and not Eldar Guardian, but it is a great picture for Eldar proportions reference, so please try to refrain from being captain obvious.

Post subject: Re: Eldar infantry models
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Infernal Tester

not really that simple dude, would take a lot of effort which i think a lot of the team may currentley deem inapropriate,

sorry to burst your bubble :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 pm 
Sacrifice

bloodtitan wrote:
not really that simple dude, would take a lot of effort which i think a lot of the team may currentley deem inapropriate,

sorry to burst your bubble :(

I really have no idea how it would work anyway, but let's be fair. He made a lot of concessions in his opening and it's not a demand. Just a point of view for discussion. If it doesn't go anywhere, then fine. The key is this:

Quote:
Note: I don't want this topic to be seen as: "Give us new Eldar models...NOW", because it is not. I know you guys have a huge ToDo list, and have much more important things on you minds. I also know that Eldar models as they are are actually very nice, especially when new textures arrive. But I would very much like to see Eldar models a bit leaner and more slender-Eldar looking as they should be, if (or when) there is time or will of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now- my thoughts on the topic at hand:

Eldar codex art is good, but at this point, I feel like screwing with the proportions would just make them look funny (akin to the oddity of seeing tiny-Tau in comparison to seeing larger models for so long). Eldar already are frail enough, let's not make them look any more like they're going to snap in a light breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm 
Civilian

No sweat, no bubbles burst.

I know it wouldn't be simple. It would be just remaking (or heavily editing) the better part of one whole race with all the models and animations, when everyone are struggling to make things that aren't already finished.

Wasn't asking anyone to do it, just wanted to know how people (especially the team) feels about it, and maybe if they are thinking of doing it eventually (when everything else is done, for example). Or if not, (optimistically) maybe giving them an idea of doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:01 pm 
Infernal Tester

I like this guy, he should post more. As for Eldar being my favorite xeno race, if not in general favorite, +1!

Unfortunately, it's highly doubtful the guys working their asses off atm will be getting around to it just to make them skinnier. Still, well done with the thread.

Add me on Steam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:15 am 
Sacrifice

It would be great, but i would much rather have chaos finished first(Those dreads, sooo need to get ingame- the have guardsmen munchers an' all). Like the the OP i am not demanding, merely requesting somewhat desperately.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:14 am 
Civilian

-7- wrote:
I like this guy, he should post more. As for Eldar being my favorite xeno race, if not in general favorite, +1!

Unfortunately, it's highly doubtful the guys working their asses off atm will be getting around to it just to make them skinnier. Still, well done with the thread.

Thanks mate, glad to be appreciated :D , and rest assured that you will be seeing me around. I intend to help as much as I can, even if I can't model, animate, texture or code.

I can still post ideas, sometimes bugs, tactical or system solutions to THAT UNIT/RACE is so imba threads (which sometimes tend to escalate from discussions to real deal fights), or sometimes fluff or codex info if needed. I know it is not nearly as contributive as the important stuff, but hey, I'm doing my part as best as I can. And I believe if we all did, this mod and its team would have much easier time with us fans, and might even benefit from having us around :D .

Mithril-hound wrote:
It would be great, but i would much rather have chaos finished first(Those dreads, sooo need to get ingame- the have guardsmen munchers an' all). Like the the OP i am not demanding, merely requesting somewhat desperately.

I completely agree on this one. Unfinished stuff should always have priority, and we all eagerly await Soulstorm release (and those Chaos Dreads in it I hope ;) ).

But seriously team, take all the time you need and don't rush anything. That way, once Soulstorm release is finished, it would be much more playable and enjoyable experience. And you wouldn't have to go back and fix/remake things you actually already finished (which, i understand, tend to be really annoying and frustrating). But, you already knew that, so... Back to topic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:44 pm 
Civilian

I'm sorry but I like them as they are. I know everyone (even Tolkien, who basically invented them) imagines Eldar/Elves as being very slender and so on, but I don't, personally. Those ultra thin figures somehow creep me out - although the ones depicted in the OP aren't as extreme as other concepts I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:19 pm 
Civilian

Actually, creeping people out is somehow the point. At least for me.
They are supposed to look different, alien and, well creepy.

That is what visually makes them alien and inhuman.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:45 pm 
Infernal Tester

Since this is a topic of Eldar infantry units and being more slender what I have to ask is pretty relative.

Any chance that the Howling Banshees might go back to a more vanila-ish look? In vanilla DoW they were slender and appeared nimble and lithe...now they're fairly blocky and kind of manly looking. :shock:

Also, how would I go about replacing the unit model and texture files myself, and would that break the game in any way?

AIRBORNE!
Who do the Xenos fear the most?
AIRBORNE!

-Rally cry for the Airborne Stormtroopers of the 7th Imperial Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 am 
Civilian

Astartes Marine wrote:
Any chance that the Howling Banshees might go back to a more vanila-ish look? In vanilla DoW they were slender and appeared nimble and lithe...now they're fairly blocky and kind of manly looking. :shock:

I was thinking the same thing. I liked the way that Howling Banshees appeared smaller and more nimble. Now they look large and bulky (for Eldar). :(

Praise the Emperor, and strike down his foes!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
Cultist

I think that lorewise the Howling Banshees have males too... Just saying. And yes, they look unfamiliar while I tear them apart now.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm 
Civilian

LordBaal wrote:
I think that lorewise the Howling Banshees have males too... Just saying. And yes, they look unfamiliar while I tear them apart now.

While granted, there are male HB (Aspect Warriors aren't restricted by gender), the majority are female. It just seems that the vanilla model better represented that. That's all I was trying to say. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Cultist

Maybe it would be possible to reuse the vanilla model and mix it with the current so there are two kind of models.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Civilian

LordBaal wrote:
Maybe it would be possible to reuse the vanilla model and mix it with the current so there are two kind of models.

Hmm...is there a way to use the vanilla models 87.5% of the time and the FoK models 12.5% of the time? That sounds like a fairly realistic representation of the Codex. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 pm 
Cultist

That's exactly was I was wondering about. You have to ask to some one else dude, since I don't know how to do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm 
Civilian

LordBaal wrote:
That's exactly was I was wondering about. You have to ask to some one else dude, since I don't know how to do it.

Same here. :oops: *facepalm* :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:03 pm 
Infernal Tester

Adepta wrote:
LordBaal wrote:

Hmm...is there a way to use the vanilla models 87.5% of the time and the FoK models 12.5% of the time? That sounds like a fairly realistic representation of the Codex. 8-)

There certainly is a way to implement that. Orks and chaos troops already use a randomizer where each dude will have diferent details, in particular the helmets.

Altough on the other hand, whoever made those new models will probably not be very amused by the sugestion of using them only 12.5% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 pm 
Civilian

Onard wrote:
Adepta wrote:
LordBaal wrote:

There certainly is a way to implement that. Orks and chaos troops already use a randomizer where each dude will have diferent details, in particular the helmets.

Altough on the other hand, whoever made those new models will probably not be very amused by the sugestion of using them only 12.5% of the time.

Right. :oops:

Perhaps vice-versa the equation? :mrgreen: