Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Who attempts to play chapters fluffwise?
Yes, I try to play chapters as close to the fluff as possible. 52%  52%  [ 50 ]
Sort of, I try to represent the chapter but not sacrifice play. 30%  30%  [ 29 ]
No, I don't try to represent chapters in gameplay. 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
No, I make my own chapters and fluff. 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 96
 Post subject: Who attempts to play chapters fluffwise? (Poll)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 am 
Civilian

Personally I tend to like to play chapters fluffwise for example right now I'm playing the Crimson Fists Chapter. I try to accurately represent them fluffwise so I pick the Stubborn trait, fill up my elite slots with Sternguard Veterans, and troop choices with mostly Scouts. I realize this is probably not the most effective way to play but I get kicks from it. Does anyone else do this? If so I would love to hear how you do it?

Post subject: Re: Who attempts to play chapters fluffwise? (Poll)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 am 
Chaos Marine

I know a few other FoKers do this. I'm not one but there are a few.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 am 
Sacrifice

I usually do. When I play as Imperial Fists I usually like to camp inside my base with Terminators, marines, and Devastators and wait for my enemy to waste their main forces on me. Once they are destroyed I quickly counter-attack and win!

Blood Ravens: Use my Librarian a lot.

I do the same for Chaos as the Word Bearers, always undivided, always undivided lord, always use daemons, don't use cult marines, and don't use any icons other then Chaos Glory.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:25 am 
Civilian

I find the Lexicanum is a constant companion to my FOK gaming. Though of course its a little difficult to play some non-codex chapters like Dark Angels. Other times I find its difficult to interpret the organization of some chapters. Ive been playing the Guardians of the Covenant and unforgiven chapter whose colour scheme appeals to me.

Last edited by Sleepy Fremen on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:31 am 
Cultist

Location: Well, lets just say you shouldn't look in your attic anymore.
Usually, I use a Salamanders play style. That's how I have the most fun playing single player, flamers, meltas, and thunder hammers, oh my. Of course, when the situation arises, Land Speeders with Multi-meltas to the rescue, not very Salamander like, but it gets the job done.

This is obviously not for MP, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:43 am 
Cultist

I play Iron Hands. Mech up the ass with 3 techmarines. ;) I build excess rhinos just for fire support. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:24 am 
Sacrifice

I rarely use the GW fluff chapters, preferring to use my Chapters instead, currently the only Doctrine I've really settled on is the Mastercrafted Armoury for my Fire Swords. But if I were to use GW Fluffies I would probably try to represent them from time to time.

Right now I only play against the AI so I can get away with it rather easily.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 am 
Infernal Tester

If I am sallies I kill it with fire. If I am Ultramarines I sacrifice the entire first company every game. :mrgreen: *(Some where out there Scott convulses)*

But yeah I play like the chapters aught to. Ms. Drake better add her 2 cents in here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:09 am 
Infernal Tester

Quote:
If I am Ultramarines I sacrifice the entire first company every game. *(Some where out there Scott convulses)*

I Lol'ed rather heartily then. Although its 5am, I hope I didn't wake my parents =']
If I did, I blame you Rock ;]

Quote:
Ms. Drake better add her 2 cents in here.

Yes, the queen of fluffy playing does need to show up. If there was a thread for Drake, it is here XD

I play fluffy armies against the AI mainly, you can get away with that there. I don't bother Vs. Humans though, its too risky. Better stick with tried and tested strats and just play to win rather than look fluffy. Its not like am making a movie =P

Forum idiot ;D

I got linkz yo'.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshi/196706217098684
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/theofficialmoshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 am 
Infernal Tester

I used to try, (when I was still a little potato beating standard comps on WA..)

But then I gave up. It's just not the same writing 'bout an epic squad of six Stormtroopers and then watching two entire squads get pwnt..

Oh but then again, this is Space Marines..

I suppose you could try to SOME extent but fully? I doubt it.

Add me on Steam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 am 
Infernal Tester

Yes!

I absolutely do play fluffy with my Marines (and Chaos Marines for that matter).

Frankly, it bothers the **** out of me when others (or even the AI) don't, but that's really my own problem and not the fault of anybody else.

When I'm playing my Flesh Tearers (the same Chapter that I play in tabletop) I'll take the Outflank Chapter Tactic to give my units a nice speed bonus. Since the Flesh Tearers are so battle hungry and charge into close combat at pretty much any opportunity I find Outflank to be perfect. I've had people suggest Fleet of Foot instead and I have given it a try, but I can never get the micro down. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

When playing Crimson Fists, it's all about Stubborn and Hold the Line!. I use this one for the Soul Drinkers too on the rare occasion that I play them along with a Librarian and a lot of Drop Podding units.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am 
Infernal Tester

ehhh tell me about it - i absolutely giving chaos armies a fluff prospective in fok because im absolutely certain - that if i give them the colour scheme of world eaters the ai wil choose nurlge......or even worse tzeench - FLUFF RAGE!

tbf though the only way i get around this is to design my own chapters that are very similar to an existing one

e.g Blood angels

mine would be the angels of blood :D

except id even make up my own fluff story in my head where they have been gifted by the adeptus mechanicus with "amazing meltas" so i feel right using them in a battle rarther than just sticking to assult squads cc combat orentation.

but some days i'm just like f**k it can't be arsed and :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:36 pm 
Sacrifice

I do so mainly for Chaos Space Marines, not so much on Space Marines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 pm 
Infernal Tester

Sleepy Fremen wrote:
Personally I tend to like to play chapters fluffwise for example right now I'm playing the Crimson Fists Chapter. I try to accurately represent them fluffwise so I pick the Stubborn trait, fill up my elite slots with Sternguard Veterans, and troop choices with mostly Scouts. I realize this is probably not the most effective way to play but I get kicks from it. Does anyone else do this? If so I would love to hear how you do it?

What exactly is playing an army fluff-wise mean? What I think you are envisioning as Fluff-play is simply one version or approach to things.

Would it still meet the criterion of Fluffy if you pick the Imperial Fist colors, check off the corresponding Trait, and build one Hold-the-Line! Sternguard squad who goes and captures a spot or two for you while the rest of your Stubborn army has Dreadnoughts and Terminators in the Elite cap and Scouts and Tactical Squads for the rest of your Troop selections? Especially if you can no longer use that Combat Tactics to auto-fail on Morale and enable your Marine Squads to stop taking Assault loses and get out and away from the form of Lock-in Close Combat now found in FoK.

Those Rulebooks and Codices are fluff too, so there is the aspect that no matter how you play any army; let alone the Marines, when you use the rules, by definition you play them Fluff-wise. There is the game that is played and everything has names and descriptions to it that foster the ability to make a narrative or story to it all.

Having an Apothecary in a squad means the squad has Feel No Pain special rule. Does that mean that all an Apothecary does is run around using his Narethium to inject Marines with the likes of morphine to keep them in the fight? Or is it simply a rule meaning that particular model enables the effected squad a greater resiliency in game that has a "cover story" of combat medicine?

I get it, you can have fun writing mini stories to your battles( I am prone to use Ork-speak when commanding the greenskins), but how it is used and how far it goes is something that begins and ends with a person's imagination using the materials and structure provided.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 pm 
Civilian

I do it fluffly for nearly all chapters of Space Marines/Chaos Marines... When I want to play more "freely" I pick a generic codex-adherent Ultramarines sucessor or something :mrgreen:

I know, it sounds silly, but is just moar fun build a lot of Raven Guard assault Vanguard squads and see they drop head-on full of lightning claws, hacking and slashing. For me it wouldn't be the same thing if they were Imperial Fists.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 pm 
Civilian

Dr West wrote:
Sleepy Fremen wrote:

What exactly is playing an army fluff-wise mean? What I think you are envisioning as Fluff-play is simply one version or approach to things.

Would it still meet the criterion of Fluffy if you pick the Imperial Fist colors, check off the corresponding Trait, and build one Hold-the-Line! Sternguard squad who goes and captures a spot or two for you while the rest of your Stubborn army has Dreadnoughts and Terminators in the Elite cap and Scouts and Tactical Squads for the rest of your Troop selections? Especially if you can no longer use that Combat Tactics to auto-fail on Morale and enable your Marine Squads to stop taking Assault loses and get out and away from the form of Lock-in Close Combat now found in FoK.

Those Rulebooks and Codices are fluff too, so there is the aspect that no matter how you play any army; let alone the Marines, when you use the rules, by definition you play them Fluff-wise. There is the game that is played and everything has names and descriptions to it that foster the ability to make a narrative or story to it all.

Having an Apothecary in a squad means the squad has Feel No Pain special rule. Does that mean that all an Apothecary does is run around using his Narethium to inject Marines with the likes of morphine to keep them in the fight? Or is it simply a rule meaning that particular model enables the effected squad a greater resiliency in game that has a "cover story" of combat medicine?

I get it, you can have fun writing mini stories to your battles( I am prone to use Ork-speak when commanding the greenskins), but how it is used and how far it goes is something that begins and ends with a person's imagination using the materials and structure provided.

I have to say for me playing certain chapters fluffwise is almost like a simulation for me. I like to gauge relative strengths of playing certain chapters as they are portrayed in the fluff. I understand the codices are fluff in themselves, with special rules to support the fluffy play styles of the chapters. I mean an example for the Crimson Fists is Pedro Kanter's special rules making Sternguard Veterans scoring units. Like Khannis if I want to play a chapter whose character I determine I play a simple codex chapter with minimal information behind it, that way I feel like I am blazing new ground. Appreciated of course that Warhammer 40K is a game where fluff is made not read.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm 
Civilian

Dr West wrote:
What exactly is playing an army fluff-wise mean?

I think this is best explained by what it isn't.

It isn't picking Thousand Sons color scheme and then taking mark of Khorne for berzerkers.

It isn't picking a Black Templar color scheme for Space Marines and then taking a librarian.

It isn't picking Blood Pact color scheme for Imperial Guard and then taking a bunch of Grey Knights.

Lastly it isn't having a team made of necrons + non-necrons (the others team combos can be explained a bit but this is impossible.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:39 pm 
Chaos Marine

Rocktober! wrote:
If I am Ultramarines I sacrifice the entire first company every game. :mrgreen: *(Some where out there Scott convulses)*

That was HURRlarious >.>. Not much for fluff play myself I basically go with "It looks cool and kills stuff" :P. Also tend to lean toward more use of infantry. In MP this changes a wee bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm 
Infernal Tester

fluff..........say it with me now fluff

nah but seriously i just feel playing a certain colour scheme and playing a certain chapters tactic some how makes me feel stronger i guess and more accurate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 pm 
Civilian

I don't know all the fluff to play chapters according to it, but I sometimes enjoy a 2vs1 game as Space Marines, where I back up an ally Imperial Guard against orks or whoever, but limiting myself to only two troop choices, one HQ choice, and either one HS/FA/elite choice (or any combination of few things)...sort of like if I was leading a small rescue force responding to a distress call or whatever. It can be fun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am 
Sacrifice

I miss the Chapter Tactics from 4e Space Marines... Like Scott, I tend toward Infantry over tanks. My Chapters almost always had the Flesh Over Steel drawback, severly limiting my Armour choices. On the rare occasion I play a GW chapter in FoK, I go fluffy, fluffy makes it that much more amusing to me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:05 am 
Infernal Tester

I play fluff wise most of the time.

I tend to go towards the Salamander approach of things by killing it with fire or molten slag when I play as a chapter similar or related to them.

I also try and follow the fluff of other races as closely as I can, but I tend to forget at times and flamers seem so inviting. :twisted:

That and I will never... ever... choose more than one heavy weapon per squad, unless it is a devistator squad. (Heavy weapons equals things like lascannons, heavy bolters, multimelta's, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am 
Civilian

I suppose CSm count aswell. I play them fluffwise , even went so far as to change some models and textures to theme them even more Slaaneshi.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:08 pm 
Infernal Tester

same if i play as Space Marines's it ahs to be with entirely i.g allies with 4 v 4 or if its 2v6 then i don't mind fighting with other Space Marines's (even though grey knights are supplied to the i.g lol)

then again don't you ever make role play battles?

me and my friends use to make "set battles" according to our own design or a past battle.

of course they would always get out of hand or not go according to plan but some of the most epic showdowns/ sync fights came out of it - was truley impresive :P

btw totally forgot any chaos lord still has the sync kill for the bloodthirster as well as the chapter master and captain :D totally awsome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 am 
Civilian

Hey I made my own chapter n fluff that still count :D if so then great and if anyone wants to hear it ill explain it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm 
Civilian

TDATL wrote:
Dr West wrote:
What exactly is playing an army fluff-wise mean?

I think this is best explained by what it isn't.

It isn't picking Thousand Sons color scheme and then taking mark of Khorne for berzerkers.

It isn't picking a Black Templar color scheme for Space Marines and then taking a librarian.

It isn't picking Blood Pact color scheme for Imperial Guard and then taking a bunch of Grey Knights.

Lastly it isn't having a team made of necrons + non-necrons (the others team combos can be explained a bit but this is impossible.)

thank you for explaining that, as a bit of a noob, i was not certain i had it right, but i was pretty close, Fluff is playing the game in the spirit of CODEX, like Space marines not allied to orks, and what chapters would and wouldnt have in the field.
i guess i should dust off my old Dark angels codex then, just a quick question, since installing the mod yesterday, i have only played scirmishes against the AI,(just wanted to see what was different) and i was wondering how this mod performs in SP campaign?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 am 
Civilian

I usually play the chapters fluff wise, going mostly for Ravenguard. I find it hard but fun :). Having two scout squads with snipers and heavy bolter + missile launcher and assault marine squad supported by dev in razorback. Then later i get orbital relay and drop pod marines and vanguards maybe dread. I justify one razorback+dev squad+whirlwind with that teh two vehicles fits in one thunderhawk transport and that is fluffy for ravenguard and using scouts to call in artillery fire.

Other fun chapter to play fluff is Salamander. Burn everything, drive close with rhinos supported by razorback with heavy flamer and terminators with heavy flamer. I always play Chaos fluffy, iron warriors and thousand sons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 am 
Civilian

Personally, I always play exactly how my chapter does. It fits my playstyle perfectly. I can't imagine any other way. ANGRY MARINES TO THE MOTHERFUCKING RESCUE!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 am 
Civilian

I like playing as Angry Marines and use nothing but thunder hammers and rockets, just imagine an army of yellow and red marines charging the front with captain and chapter master heading the front of the front.
Always Angry All the Time, lol.

Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!
Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne!
All is Dust!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:44 am 
Civilian

I tend to make my own Chapters/Legions/Craftworlds etc.

As Space Marines, I change my tactic depending on the situation, but I've found that "Purity and Pride" gives the most versatility by allowing you to keep Combat Tactics. This allows better retreating (or charging, in my case) because it can be used directly before "Run". By the time "Run" is over, Combat Tactics has regenerated. You can outrun any other foe (barring Eldar because of Fleet of Foot), and expand much quicker anywho.

Plus, you get apothecary squads, and we all know that Apothecaries > any other single unit. :mrgreen:

Praise the Emperor, and strike down his foes!