Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: So, how does it feel to know you've made an impact...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm 
Fallen from grace

So, how does it feel to know you've made an impact on peoples lives?

As probably a few people may know, I tend to have a very modest view on things.

Have any of the contributors thought of all the enjoyment and such that we have brought to people? Easily over 6k people downloaded the last public release of this mod in the first couple of weeks alone that we tracked and that was on just two locations. The other places it's been hosted would be a lot more to that number over this time, possible several 10's of thousands more because of word of mouth or what ever. We may not know the exact number but it kind of makes you wonder.

And to think with all the model revisions and improvements, all the advise and critique... Is it bad that I feel no sense of pride or achievement about this?

Even any fan worship that I may have garnered and all those souls that the Infamous and rarely known GM has stolen away for me feels just as empty too.

So I want to know what your perspectives are as well. Perhaps it may hold true in the epiphany sense.

Ask about the mod.

Post subject: Re: So, how does it feel to know you've made an impact...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 pm 
Infernal Tester

Quote:
Is it bad that I feel no sense of pride or achievement about this?

I feel nothing about my past successes, and I don't know why. Is FoK an exclusion or this happens with your others achievements too?

Btw, I taked 3rd place in regional olympics in physics and astronomy and I'm moving at the provincial level with these. Beyond are country and international levels... And regional olympics in computer science is next Saturday. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm 
Infernal Tester

Guys..

You are belittling yourselves x 10,000! WHY? Because your legacy is already a supremely bright one based on what you have left behind and which DoW2,3 or 50 will ever come close to matching. You have left us with the GREATEST collection of War40k 3d works no other PC game will ever have. None! Ever!

Sincerely, you MUST have a sense of incredible accomplishment because you have done what not even paid artists/dev could ever do without going bankrupt x2-3 over. FoK is shear brilliance and genius and a highly complex project. Further, FoK's influences will always go well beyond its own scope to everywhere outside into DoW1 land.. it will transcend the whole community for all time. Yes it sounds like nice "buttering" but f**k its true: what you chaps have done is timeless sh*t for not only DoW1 and modding but all of War40k.

You should holding your head so VERY proudly high but humility is also not a bad thing but come off it: you deserve such COLOSSAL credit!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 pm 
Infernal Tester

Suck it up and bask in your glory already.

We all know you've deserved it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm 
Old One

Every time I get an email or a pm or read a post that says "Thanks for the great mod!", it makes me smile because my efforts helped make someone happy.

It still boggles my mind that I started something that thousands of people wound up downloading over the years...At least a few hundred people have found the mod, in its various iterations, to be enjoyable and worth playing over and over. That means I partially accomplished what I set out to do - and something is better than nothing.

DoW40K started out with the goal of being a "concept" mod, a way to show Relic that getting DoW closer to codex COULD make the game more enjoyable and more balanced. Basically I was trying to get Relic to make a better game. After a while, I realized they weren't going to listen and instead decided to just continue on and provide something for the hardcore fans that wanted more out of their game. It's hard keeping everyone happy...there's a lot of compromising, a lot of revising...and not everything goes as planned.

...but if a lot of people enjoy the results and smile despite the incompleteness of everything, then I did some good for the gaming community :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm 
Infernal Tester

You guys have done a hell of a job over the years and are still going!!! This mod has been going on forever and has fallen on hard times before but always managed to recover. I think if you go over to relic fourms and click finished mods section the steel legion is the only one that's really 100% complete, ever other mod is in a half finished stage or has died off. This mod is great and has a lot of people who really enjoy playing it everyday over the course of how many years? I wouldn't know as i only started playing at 3.5. I love coming home and playing a few games on hamachi helping fix bugs and make this an even greater mod then it already is because of the ways its built and constantly changing. The differences from 3.6 to the internal are a big difference. The mod is always kept fresh and SVN is updated every few days. The dedication you guys have to this mod is immense, and part of the reason I love to post on the fourm is because of the active community whos always willing to help and provide imput. You guys have earned every ounce of glory and let no one tell you otherwise. And if they do you smack a b***h.

Derp Banshees are supposed to beat stuff like Terminators in CC. Herp a derp. - Gorb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm 
Infernal Tester

Horus wrote:
And to think with all the model revisions and improvements, all the advise and critique... Is it bad that I feel no sense of pride or achievement about this?

Even any fan worship that I may have garnered and all those souls that the Infamous and rarely known GM has stolen away for me feels just as empty too.

I believe that's a sign that you're a hard worker/perfectionist. Aka no matter how high the quality of your work or the praise you get, you always feel like you could've done better. Wich then makes you work even harder to outdo yourself.

This is bad for you because you don't feel acomplished indeed.

It's good for everybody else because we get more awesome work from you! For free!

Pride isn't considered a sin for nothing. I've seen a lot of people fail because of it, having a moment of glory and then leting themselves decay because they feel satisfied and think they don't need to do anything else.

It's a lesson I learned myself. Hard work doesn't lead to some "epiphany" or "enlightment" or "nirvana". True hard work leads to even harder work. What really matters is not what you feel in the end but what you leave behind for others.

And you good sir (and MK and the rest of the devs) have done a LOT of hard work for others. So thank you again, even if it doesn't make you feel warmer inside.

After all, like pointed out already this mod has been going for far longer than any other DoW mod out there. I myself I'm addicted to it and been following it since it's humble begginnings, even if I just become an infernal recently.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm 
Fallen from grace

The thing is, I'm by no means a perfectionist. I do critisize myself a lot but I go with what works. An old friend I had was and he never finishes anything.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 am 
Infernal Tester

Put it this way; FoK is probably the best DoW mod ever, without much bs. No other mod has redone every race, added tons of units (even if they're mostly Space Marines), or kept at it for so long.

What this means is ofc, that in a few years from now, after Retribution, maybe DoWIII, etc, people will still remember FoK. Why? Because there's no way to forget it. You just can't. People will always love the TT feel of it, even if I miss most except for the FoC.

But yeah, probably doesn't make sense but oh well. I know that when I'm older, married with kids etc, I'll keep my copy of the w/e current build of FoK is and still play it, late at night, in the dark crawl space under my bed. SoB 4B!

As an afterthought, I made a few packs of badges and banners for DC for a while, but the most downloads I ever got were a few hundred, not much. Yet every time I saw it get to 100, I felt proud knowing that at least 100 people were enjoying the work I'd done, so yeah, feel good about yourselves, you did good.

Add me on Steam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:12 am 
Old One

Quote:
As an afterthought, I made a few packs of badges and banners for DC for a while, but the most downloads I ever got were a few hundred, not much. Yet every time I saw it get to 100, I felt proud knowing that at least 100 people were enjoying the work I'd done, so yeah, feel good about yourselves, you did good.

The very first thing I ever did for the community was a couple of B&B sets for an RN contest. Go figure :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:09 am 
Chosen

Man, you guys are depressing. You make it sound like the mod is coming to a close. I don't know about you guys but I think there are a few codices you've missed. As long as there are gamers and tabletop enthusiasts who play this, there's always going to be someone who says, 'I like X race, why aren't they represented? That does it, I'm adding them myself.' Next thing you know, that guy finds another guy then another and a small mod team comes together all over again and bam, FoK is resurrected. Don't believe me? The only thing that was holding this mod from becoming truly epic was its imbalanced gameplay and the dreadful wait between releases. Once word of mouth goes around that FoK finally got it right, you'll see. ;)

FoK has already outlasted some of the biggest gaming giants, especially considering you only had a mediocre game to go off of, that's pretty impressive. I don't know of any games as old as this that people are still playing except for Half-Life 2 and WC3 mods and those are among the best games of all time. I'd say that's worth patting yourselves on the back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm 
Chosen

Yep i to miss the old days, good times. happy to of worked on a great mod, with all the great arttis and moders, although one day we may all return , i hope, :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 pm 
Infernal Tester

lets hoe they make dow3 the same as dow1 but with all the cool coding and possibilities of dow 2 :) aka a much brighter number one with destroyable cover bigger bases and even MOAR uniqueness :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:05 am 
Chosen

Do I feel I've made an impact, publicly? Not really. Then again, I haven't contributed nearly as much as other mod team members have.

Do I feel I've contributed to the mod? Definitely, though I think everyone who has access to this subforum has done. Otherwise, well, you wouldn't be in this subforum :D

That's a rather simple summary of a rather complex issue. I'll just leave with saying I'm glad to have been associated with this modification and I've enjoyed the correspondence with people that has risen out of this mod (mainly MK, but there are others). Finally, I will continue to promote this modification wherever I go, as long as the people I meet know of Dawn of War ;)

My blog | Twitter | Steam

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]