Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: It is ALIVE :D (termies finished)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:13 am 
Infernal Tester

Good news. I successfully exported the termie animations (some anims are a bit more choppy than in max but seems fine) into OE, even the layered animations are working fine :D (which I did not expect...). The only sad casualty are the loin cloths .. the models screwed up the export, deleted for now (I will remake them soonish :P The only thing is: the model appears black in the OE viewport.. I probably screwed something up with assigning textures.

Last edited by zaknafein196 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: It is ALIVE :D
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 am 
Chosen

Zak you are a legend mate :) good stuff man. i wish i could help with the OE but i have no knowledge of how to use it.

this could help
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=232051

or this made by Horus
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=199410

Last edited by baz44331 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:20 am 
Infernal Tester

I will get the texture issue sorted and hopefully pass this on to someone who knows OE..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:57 am 
Infernal Tester

Progress report :):
Textures are now assigned and working in OE just need to get an idea how to get the loin cloths to work properly. Conclusion termies will be ready for OE work today or tomorrow :)

Edit: Termies are done I've sent them to Mega, if anyone else wants to try and do the OE work the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bbodk3pgiw7kcp6

Will still need to add some specific animations for librarian/chappy (new idles, specially for the librarian as the staff related issues etc) and probably some errors will pop up, but now let us rejoice :D

Some info: The assault termies have a different melee idle pose than the normal termies. Melee attacks/blocks are looped with this pose (name is - assaulttermie_melee_pose). The sync kills/sync deaths are copied (timing-wise) from fok terminators should work with old synckills/deaths.

This stuff is still wip.. I expect there may be some issues so test this in game and give me feedback I will be busy adapting to my new job for a few weeks, would be nice to have feedback when I have time to mod again.

Last edited by zaknafein196 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: It is ALIVE :D (termies finished)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:19 pm 
Infernal Tester

Hey, awesome job Zak. Thanks for your hard work. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 pm 
High Marshall

i can do the OE xD....im pretty bored right now

is the SVN max files updated with this or should i upload them?

some issues i've detected regarding some animations:

- firing animations must be made in loops with targeting position already....the engine will move the bones to the targeting position so no need to make that part of the animation (aside horizontal and vertical traverses, which are separated animations).
- melee idle anim seems a bit short...should be extended a bit more so it looks more natural
- melee attacks look a bit slow...:/ try to set them a the same speed of other units melee attacks...remember Force is equal to mass per acceleration :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 am 
Infernal Tester

Any chance of getting some youtube vids of the animations looping or some such? Would be mega awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:35 am 
Infernal Tester

Quote:
- firing animations must be made in loops with targeting position already....the engine will move the bones to the targeting position so no need to make that part of the animation (aside horizontal and vertical traverses, which are separated animations).
- melee idle anim seems a bit short...should be extended a bit more so it looks more natural
- melee attacks look a bit slow...:/ try to set them a the same speed of other units melee attacks...remember Force is equal to mass per acceleration :)

Ok :) thanks I will get to it once I have time. I will remake the firing anims today (wasn't sure how to do this thnx for the info :)).
The melee idlee was kept short as I figured the termie as I imagined the unit would only use this in combat would be exchanging blows/blocks so it wouldn't stand still for long anyway.. (but you know the game better)
As to the attacks I will review them when I get more freetime again.
No, I didn't update the svn (don't have it installed :p)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:44 am 
Cultist

I've passed the model to jONES, who checked it and said that the model lacks anims (vis_) for visibility\invisibility of some parts, like heads, weapons and so on... :(

"Oh yeah, Russian. Bolshevik Revolution, and all that. I see why."
- Vaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 am 
Infernal Tester

megazogg wrote:
I've passed the model to jONES, who checked it and said that the model lacks anims (vis_) for visibility\invisibility of some parts, like heads, weapons and so on... :(
what are those? Sorry, Mega I'm pretty new to animating for DoW, last time I passed the anims to Horus who probably took care of that..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:12 pm 
High Marshall

About visuals in Max, there is an option on objects "Object Properties->User Defined" where you can type any of the following properties, which are recognized by the OE and DOW engine.

ForceSkinning = Yes used for objects that act as bones, not sure what it does but seems like a requirement for these to work well
ForceInvisible = Yes force the object to be invisible in that animation, this way the engine will only read the bones and their movements without altering the visuals
Stale = Yes makes the engine ignore that bone or object animation, useful if gonna put various animations to display at the same time, (for example aiming and shooting)

For most animations, all objects should have ForceInvisible...the exceptions will be the vis animations.

Vis animations are dummy animations used for showing a certain object or group of objects, ei "vis_helmet_1.max" has the purpose to make visible the object named helmet_1, so all the objects except helmet_1 have the ForceInvisible property. Another example with groups would be Terminator_1.max...which contains visual of the armour with some specific helmet and shoulder pads....these are better created by the OE coder at his preference or according his scheme designed for the unit behavior.

that's one of the reasons why it would be preferable that you supply the max files instead of the OE ones, the other one is that without these...you cannot generate the WHM which is the one used in game.

Another tip about terminators, their armour do not restrict their movements that much (even though it may look so xD), so feel free to make their movements more dynamic....for the idle poses look how TT miniatures stand, that should give you some ideas.....for melee attacks, they can twist their torso, not just move the arms....same for walking/running.

Other animations tips

Firing animations are usually based on the tracking animation, with just the difference that it has the shooting recoil (rotating barrels for assault cannon) made in a loops.

Tracking animation shouldn't be too different from the idle pose with the exception of that the gun will be pointing towards, these are normally static but can show some form of slight body movement like breathing or similar, these are looped as well.

Aim animations are not too hard to make, these usually involve the rotation of a single bone so it works for either vertical or horizontal aim. Of course in this animation all bones except the aiming one, must have Stale = Yes.

Melee animations, usually they have 3 versions so they randomize between each other, the melee idle must have the basic pose with slight movement that loops so it doesn't look too static, melee damage are usually 2, one being left damage and the other right damage....but this is not mandatory.

I recommend you to look at the old terminator (medes ones) animations for ideas and to capture well how they are supposed to move :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:52 pm 
Infernal Tester

Ok, well they do move their torso (pelvis and everything during attacks.. but maybe it is less visible than the arms ;))As to the run anims I tried to mimic relics run but since you mention this I must have failed :P As to medes termies I didn't like the speed they moved at when attacking like in lightning claw sync kills.. I thought they lacked mass, hacking away like a madman (I'm not a TT player, fluff expert but I believed that the suit restricted their movement more than power armour). Then again I am not a character animator professionally (nor do I aspire to be one) so I cannot say for sure, I just use my personal rule of the thumb.
Here are the max files for the termies, please note that you will need the CAT plugin for them to work http://www.mediafire.com/?4v05j4bwsn9scc7
(feel free to adjust play with it :))

I will revise them in a few weeks after stuff gets less hectic with my new job. (letting a project go for a time helps with most art projects) Too bad we didn't have this discussion a few weeks ago :( when I had more time on my hands ..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]