Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spacek1ght's 3D Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:09 pm 
Civilian

Hi everyone thought I'd post up some of my 40K related models rather show anyone old junk. Here a model I started making tonight, the proportions need adjusting and the smoothing groups need finishing, but how about this for a transport:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/gorgoni.jpg/

Also heres a pic of my High Poly Marine bolter I've almost finished. It is not supposed to be completely accurate to 40K, basically its more of film prop concept:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/bolter2.jpg/

Feedback would be welcome.

Post subject: Re: Spacek1ght's 3D Stuff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 am 
Infernal Tester

I really like that bolter. The scope looks badass. Gives it a more high tech feel rather then the medieval feel I get from the bolter. Im sure some of the other members skilled in modeling and stuff can give you feedback.

Derp Banshees are supposed to beat stuff like Terminators in CC. Herp a derp. - Gorb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 am 
Infernal Tester

tis very swish indeed :)

I love that assault ramp/troop carrier as well :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:27 am 
Chaos Marine

bloodtitan wrote:
I love that assault ramp/troop carrier as well :D

Its a Gorgon, look it up on Forge World.

Steam ID: cpt_uriel_ventris (shows up as First-Captain Ventris).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm 
Civilian

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Appreciate it. On a tech note the Bolters around 35,000 polys so a game models out until I make a low poly model and do all the normal mapping etc. I took about 5 hours to make.

The Gorgon well I've only spent about 2 hours on that so far and I've notice the main chassis overhangs the back of the tracks and a couple of other things I'll need to adjust. I really wish Forgeworld would post blueprints on their site it would make life easier. The Gorgon is only around 2000 polys at the moment.

I read Horus's Daemon Prince tutorial last night and thought that was really cool. I have real problems making characters, I can make armour and clothing yet people are really hard, particularly heads and hands. So I stick to vehicles, environments and weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm 
Civilian

Also heres some old 40K works I did, they aren't too bad for a couple of years ago.
They are all a combination of 3d in Max and 2d work in Photoshop.

As I said old but people might find them worth a look.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm 
Infernal Tester

you sir are hired!

me and chompster are always looking for people to join the ranks of set piece battles and etc, I think your editing talents and such would really help promote the mod.

Sadly we are undergoing pc builds atm so our computer power/commitment is very limited atm, but were always on the froums and able too be contacted. :)

do you have larger pictures? the detail on those look really fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm 
Civilian

Bloodtitan: Thanks man. Yeah I think I messed the links up when I was trying to embed the URL etc. Should've posted the links up in the first place but I wanted to get them in my post and since I haven't done that before I messed it up!

Heres the links

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1262 ... lished.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5445/spalace.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/286/4t ... fterra.jpg

This isn't bad B5 though:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3180/h ... nder01.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm 
Infernal Tester

great models and nice job with the editing!

one thing though, this isn't the section to post this ;)
modeling/painting is for miniatures.

viewforum.php?f=158

that's for 3D stuff :)

oh and you posted this link twice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 pm 
Chaos Marine

Your stuff is very good.

And Sparda I'm sure Gorb will move this or Horus...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:02 pm 
Civilian

Chompster: Sorry my mistake.

If someone could move this I'd appreciate it.

Calgar: Thanks man.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:23 pm 
Chosen

Calgar wrote:
Your stuff is very good.

And Sparda I'm sure Gorb will move this or Horus...

Or Fuegan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm 
Chaos Marine

Didn't know that you had the privis. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:35 pm 
Civilian

Thanks Fuegan, greatly appreciate it! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:21 pm 
Infernal Tester

just out of sheer curisoty what do you think you could make from these?

(old yes but still workable, mainly chompsters ones)

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=5246

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:41 pm 
Civilian

Bloodtitan: If you mean in terms of characters very little. My characters suck, I can make armours.helmets and clothes for characters, but characters themselves turn out really badly.
Texturing is something I can do, unwrapping as well(but please don't give me a legion of unwrapping to do because it bores the living crap out of me). Vehicles, weapons, props, buildings no problem.
Out of interest has anyone thought about improving the ground textures since they look really flat? I don't know what can and can't be done since DOW is not an engine I'm familiar with from a modding point of view, can normal maps be used?
I know Melooo has some stuff in mind for me when we last spoke, but since he's on his holiday so I'm at a bit of a loose end for something to do at the moment. At least until he comes back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm 
Chosen

Oh man, if you could improve the ground textures, FoK would be 20x better.

Atm, we need some icons to be made for 3.7. I need them for 'Charge!', 'Furious Charge!', 'Fleeting Charge!' oh and 'Furious Fleeting Charge!' for Harlequins, lol. Each of those need 4 varying intensities (aside from FFC since only one units uses it) to differentiate the benefits between them. I have some other stuff in mind that can be added but I'll wait for the first public release before demanding legions of artists to do my bidding ;)

If you wanna do something that might be kinda fun, you can model two Supa Lobbas on the Squiggoth and give it two more big shootas. I'm currently using it as a gargantuan Squiggoth because the model is so huge and the Orks lack any real apocalypse units/powerful ranged firepower.

You can pretty much do whatever you'd like, I wouldn't mind putting it into 3.8. Defensive structures*, new units, new wargear*, polished models, new buildings*, missing codex units, Forge World units, whatever. * = stuff I'd personally like to see more than the others. All I ask is that Orks and Necrons get some attention because their selection is seriously lacking. Templars and Tau could use attention too; SMs, CSMs, and Imperial Guard have plenty.

In fact, those three have so much, I'd rather split the daemons into a different faction (they are stupidly powerful in 3.7 when coupled with CSMs) and the Forge World tanks for Imperial Guard into Steel Legion or something. That would require more work but if you have a serious hard on for those factions, I'd personally like to go in that direction with them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Chaos Marine

The Fugester has a big list for you, mate. Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 pm 
Infernal Tester

didn't mean in terms of modelling Spacekn1ght. meant in terms of editing screenies xD

but like Feugan says you can do what you like :) any contribution is always greatly welcomed. (more so if it is currently required)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
Chaos Marine

Especailly texturing, as far as I know we are in dire need of texturers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 pm 
Infernal Tester

the new termie storm sheilds for one (baz has kinda vanished again)
Eldar firedragon helmet still needs doing.

Whole races still need work tbh, in terms of a face lift and for the quality that's being bought in model wise. Necrons are the only ok ones as standard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 pm 
Chosen

I'll come up with a very large comprehensive to do list for anyone who is interested in helping out. I'll have a chat with Melooo and Horus to get all the minute details for what's WIP, who's working on what, missing textures/animations, missing icons, incomplete works, what needs updating, etc. Maybe we can also get an artist's info guide for stuff like target poly counts, limitations, etc.

Orks need a makeover. I don't mind their faces but their clothing. They should look less like worn street clothes and more like rough, rugged material like leather, chain, and torn metal plates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 pm 
Civilian

Feugan and anyone else who has requests: Okay mate I can tell you're excited and I'm also very keen to get some stuff done for you guys but heres the thing:

I need things that are priority uploading for me, not in huge batches please since I'm on mobile broadband. As I told Melooo I don't have dropbox, so that means mediafire or megaupload or whatever you guys personal preference is.

Also I know Melooo talked about doing some more Chaos power weapons as well as finishing off the Black Templar textures that still have green UV lines etc. Also with several mods all on the go by you guys its a bit confusing to know which mod I'm supposed to be working on. My personal preference would be for Firestorm version for Soulstorm, as well as getting 3.7 finished for DC. Thing is I'm under the impression that Melooo is team leader here and hes the one Chompster and Bloodtitan advised I got in contact with. So I'd hate to start working on something whiles hes away that he doesn't want me to do and land myself in the **** with him.

Having said that I'll help any of you guys out if you can. Since you all seem really friendly and appreciative. If you need a PSD finishing off or something unwrapping or quick things making then send me a link and I'll get on with it. Either that or tell me how I can unpack the 3.6 module so I can sort the unfinished stuff out in there. If you do send me a PSD please upload an obj of the model in question so I can check the texturing out in Max.

Also check this out if you have time.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/585/tanksh.jpg (I named it in honour of you guys)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 pm 
Chaos Marine

Aw ain't he sweet. Can we keep him?! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm 
Infernal Tester

yes calgar........we can ;)

Basically its not too big a problem, i've moved over to the PoK team and were after everything, any updates you do texture wise can be used widely over both 3.7 and purguation over kaurava (and fok too if it takes off again right now its in sleep mode)

Over all spacekn1ght i'm more than happy for you to take Feugans lead with what he wants, simply uplaod all textures and bits you do and we can take them, impliment them and obviously give you the credit for your hard work and contibution.

Just remember were the ones lucky too have you, but we will be cheeky and ask for specific pieces from time to time ;) .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm 
Civilian

Bloodtitan: Sorry mate misunderstood what you meant. I'm sure I can definately do something with a few of those. The one with all those sorcerors casting evil magics is particularly cool. Maybe have a big warpstorm overhead and a massive ruined hive city. I'll dowload a few later and have a play around tomorrow. Is it okay to upload anything I get done here or does it have to be put in the 2d art section? I don't mind ask for whatever work you want done anyway, I'd prefer a list and some guidlines so I don't go off on a tangent for six months and build a hive city. (That's a no no by the way)

Feugan: Sounds like a good plan lists upon lists that should please the administratum types. :)

Calgar: "Can we keep him" .Not sure what you meant by that. Hopefully its the tank you want to keep and not me. there's no way in hell you're putting me in your Chaos footlocker of hurt! :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm 
Infernal Tester

Sure :) I know there are a few pieces i'd like you to be doing whilst Feugan makes a list, i'll be speaking to Meloo soon about what things he would like off ya if that's cool 8-) with you. I'll probz draft up a list of my own too as I know there are certain out standing areas with PoK, the grey knight terminators for one, but ill pm you a list eventually :).

And fantastic news on the screenie :D really looking forward to see what you make :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm 
Civilian

Bloodtitan: Cheers mate that would be great. I think I'll go have a play with some of those screens. Maybe back later if anything turns out particularly well! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm 
Chosen

Very nice :-). I'd enlarge the Heavy bolter sponsons a bit imo. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything else. Looks like a sturdier version of the Baneblade STC.

As for the mod team: Well, Melooo is working on his own mod atm, separate from FoK. Horus is working on Retribution. I'm working on 3.7 which Warcaster will be porting over to Soulstorm eventually. Lots of large changes are going into 3.7 so Soulstorm internal probably won't be used and we'll just pass the art and updates over.

This is me just speculating, really because I haven't heard anything from Horus or Melooo. I haven't sought them out to ask them because I've kinda been slacking with 3.7 and I need to finish this first before anything else starts moving. Melooo probably started his own thing just to keep the ball moving. I don't think he's doing his mod to be as a successor to FoK as Melooo has been a team player no matter what state the team has been. As far as I'm concerned, PoK is the official version for Soulstorm so if he wants you to do something, then I'd listen to him before listening to me. Idk how he feels about me with 3.7.

If it's a matter of who's getting work done faster, I've been extremely disinterested in FoK for a couple years and that's contributed a lot to the slow progress of 3.7. I'm hoping that once 3.7 is out, there will be a whole lot of PvP going as I'm a gamer first and a coder 2nd. Seeing the bugs and how they plague gameplay gives me a lot of motivation to get things done.

I have no idea what drives Horus and Melooo but I know Horus has been consistently great since he got here, pumping out ridiculous amounts of work. Melooo has done a great job of filling gaps in the workload whenever we are missing a team member to do something. I have no idea what he actually prefers to do, hopefully we can make everyone happy once we're all organized.

If it's a matter of which mod is 'better', then that's up to you and everyone else to decide. If people want the mod to go in the direction of 3.7, PoK, or the future 3.8 remains to be seen as I still haven't delivered anything substantial. 3.7and it's latest patch I'd like to think are great strides in balance for PvP. However, PoK seems to be going in the direction of making the player feel stronger and doing more skirmish or co-op vs AI battles with great odds stacked against them. Both are viable as games and both will have their fans, it's just a matter of which feels 'right' I guess.

If it's a matter of authority, then go with Horus and Melooo. I have NO idea what condition the art assets are in and I don't even have access to them. I just know what I've added that doesn't have proper art.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:00 pm 
Chaos Marine

spacek1ght wrote:
Calgar: "Can we keep him" .Not sure what you meant by that. Hopefully its the tank you want to keep and not me. there's no way in hell you're putting me in your Chaos footlocker of hurt! :o

I meant can we keep you from the mod's point of view.

And I have a footlocker of hurt? And I'm not a chaos scum, I mearly have that tital due to Horus changes to the forums.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm 
Civilian

Calgar: Just kidding. For the Emperor and all, old pal! :) Maybe Horus is trying to convert you all. Changes to the forums indeed, Chaos is subtle like that, be vigilant!

Bloodtitan: Is this what you're after:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1018/testrfx.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 pm 
Civilian

Okay heres another, not doing anymore tonight:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3272/dueld.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 pm 
Infernal Tester

now that my friend is THE business! if i make some more generic battle scenes wreckon you can make a siege of emperors palace one again?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 pm 
Civilian

bloodtitan: You don't think they look a little rushed? The first one took about an hour and was a pic from one of my battles. The Duel one took around 35 minutes. Regarding Emperor's Palace yeah I think the models still on an external drive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 am 
Infernal Tester

the first one is really awesome, really gives that 40K feel to it. the second one you can really tell its rushed like you said, not a lot different from my original shot maybe a little brighter and sharpened.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 am 
Sacrifice

Location: you know I'm precisely between a screen...and a chair
@ Chompster : your image of the duel is more chaos oriented and Spacek1ght's is a loyalist one IMO. This probably comes from the "sharpened" armour in the second image.

PS : the futurist bolter must be the sternguard standard weapon, it can't be for anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:39 am 
Infernal Tester

Chompster wrote:
the first one is really awesome, really gives that 40K feel to it. the second one you can really tell its rushed like you said, not a lot different from my original shot maybe a little brighter and sharpened.

quoted for truth.

Really gives that 'firestorm over kronus' feel'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm 
Infernal Tester

looking at that picture again reminds me how silly it looks when the CM holds a weapon with 2 hands even though he's holding a shield :lol:

but nothing to do about that i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:47 pm 
Chaos Marine

Chompster wrote:
looking at that picture again reminds me how silly it looks when the CM holds a weapon with 2 hands even though he's holding a shield :lol:

but nothing to do about that i guess.

Hes a badass, he can do what he wants.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:50 pm 
Infernal Tester

even make a shield go through his arm and abdomen? :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm 
Chaos Marine

If hes badass enough, anything can happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 pm 
Civilian

Do you guys have anything for me yet? Been working on my website since teatime so hadn't really had time to check in properly. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 am 
Infernal Tester

Don't worry space, I am just sorting a few things then you'll be given a few test pieces :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:03 pm 
Civilian

Bloodtitan: Cheers mate I'll wait till I hear back from you. Gives me time to sort my website out anyway! :D