Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D Daemon Prince Modelling Tutorial in Progress
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:19 am 
Fallen from grace

Ok, I'm bored. With a lot of things. I haven't done any REAL modelling in quite a while.. and my organic model skills are quite fail I think. Tanks and buildings are easy.

So as apathetic and unmotivated as I am currently after a lot of coding work... I decided i would model something grand.

My opponent? My Victim of creationism?

This:

Now, I think I will go about it as some crazy dev and do a sort of progression tutorial piece of crap and sort of walk through as I go through it with some shiny pics along the way. (I'm being judged by my own grammar nazi self here >.< but dysgrammatòppòbia and the fear of a duck looking at me... Not what I want to do like, it can sod off :P )

All you non-professionals out there can awe and get inspired to make your own :D

Though i'm not a professional by any standard myself.... And if I somehow am, I don't believe you.

Perils of the warp:

Okios then. First of we need to analyse the model we are going to make. This IS Boring. Which is why I RARELY ever do it. But! depending on how complex the model is or its pose it can help us identify some key problems.

First one should be:
Have I got any reference pics of this thing I could use?

Answer for me is yes.

I used google and bits box. If you can find the sprues, like GW have nicely posted with their new models... It will save you a lot of time and head scratching.

Once you get your ref pics. identify any other key problems.

Second one for example:

look at the joints in the legs. The pose doesn't allow you to model it as an open leg, in which you will have to. Otherwise when you get round to having it animated and rigged, It will get fubar'd and look terrible with horrible deformities. In which case it will often be sent back to you for fixing.

Another thing to look at:

The torsos themselves. They look daunting to model don't they? All those abs and pecks. Enough almost to please slaanesh with an ecstatic offering filled with narcotic bliss.

Consider looking at them in a different way. All your world views for seeing things as they are won't help you here. You'll jest get confused by it. But Consider looking at them as a cylindrical object. They should look a lot easier to model now, and they will be fairly easy when you use FFD to get the initial shape in place.

Now that the more obvious problems are known about.... lets get started on modelling this thing :D

Oh and feel free to post stuff up, I can separate this later any wiggle for a tutorial later :D

Ask about the mod.

Post subject: Re: Modelling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:45 am 
Fallen from grace

A dark gift:

Open your program of choice. If your not using max, I can't help you. But just follow along similarly.

Once open, Create a "plane"

Basically a flat object. This will be textured so you can model on it with accuracy. A plan, no; a blueprint for your model basically.

Have your reference pic ready on the desktop, and right click it to get into the properties of the file. Look for the pictures height and width dimensions. We will enter the those as the size of the plane we just created.

The plane will be too big so divide the scale by ten as you can see in my pic, and its best to create it in the forward facing view port rather than flat on the ground. you can just rotate it or delete and create another one in the top viewport.

Oh it's best to note, F2-F3 If your a beginner will toggle the wireframe and mesh views in your view ports. Handy little thing. If you are anal about polygon counts.... press 7 on the top row of numbers to see your count.
This will be a low poly thing anyway. Low poly doesn't necessarily mean crap looking. You should in general model in such a way that you can save pollies where you can. If its not going to be noticed, use less and when you have the main model done, go over and clean up silly placed ones :D

now we have our plane drag the picture directly onto it from the desktop.
It will ask you if you want it a background or something like that.
You don't want it as a background so click the obvious (If you get the pop up) otherwise you'll have something like this:

Now that we have our scene set up we can finally start modelling. I suggest the torso. Why? Because it's a cylindrical object, and we can get the basic shape done fairly easy. It will have a lot of fiddles but once you get it out of the way, you can build everything else around it, and more to scale too. Also It will involve a lot of FFD which is perfect for its own little tutorial.

Next post we will begin modelling :D

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:20 am 
Fallen from grace

Modelling the beast:

We will begin by creating a cylinder. Its near the create plane button.

We will want to position it near the body we will model. Don't worry if its too big, adjust the radius and hight till we get a more closer matching size.

Now we have to figure out how many hight segments we will need. we can always add more later, but the more correct amount we have, the smoother the whole work flow will be. we need to take into account the amount of basic extrusions the model has.

It will look like something such as this. it may not make sense now, but when your Free Form Deforming (FFD) It will make more sense.

The red lines are basically the shape we will make. the amount of them tells us we will need at least seven edges in height to get the shape we need.

Set the height segments to six, so we have seven hieght edges. Also change the amount of sides to somewhere between 10 or 12. 11 isn't an option... it will make things messy later.

Now we will make it see though, so we can see what we are doing in relation to the pic. to do this make sure the object we want see through and just look at the pic and follow the options in red:

now that the mesh is see through, we will want to see its edges. press F4 so you can see its wireframe

Now we will soon add the FFD modifiers to it to get the shape we need. First though, i will mention...

AT ANY POINT DO NOT COLLAPSE THE MODIFIER STACK UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED.

otherwise you loose a lot of the flexibility it provides. if you do, hit undo and your safe again.

Select the edit tab, and in the modifier list, add the edit poly modifier. We want to move our edges so they are similar to the red lines like in the earlier pic above:

Now we can start shaping the body :

Ill continue this later. Must sleep :D

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:31 am 
Fallen from grace

The torso:

We want to start creating the pelvis a bit better so the legs can be added in nicely later.

In edit poly modifier select the vertices displayed in the picture:

We will add a FFD 3x3x3 modifier to it and as it only affects those vertices we have selected, we can be sure that it wont mess anything up.

on the side view with the FFD modifier selected in the modifier stack, click the little plus sign next to the light bulb and then select control points.

You will notice the gizmo has changed and you can select the gizmo control points.

Select the bottom middle ones and raise it up (Still using the side view) till you get something like this:

Next we want to go to the front view, and with the points still select we want to scale them across the side, till we get a nice slant like this:

now we will add another edit poly modifier, to lock our new deformation in place. (do not convert to edit poly just add the modifier)

we want to mesh in the belt and the perfect way to do that is to cut or use connect on the edges here:

to get something more like this:

So using the edit poly modifier we have, select edges and then the ones we want:

leave the side ones alone. they wont be need as you will soon see.
Hit the connect button and it will give you a nice slice across where we need it.

it will go funky as we need it straight:

so while the edges are still selected, click on the top down facing viewport (labelled top hopefully), and then click the view align button on the side. This will flatten the selection to what ever plane you are facing in the selected viewport.

now we just need to move the edges up till they are somewhat aligned like this:

don't worry about the funky vertices atm we can sort those out later.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 am 
Fallen from grace

we will "connect" these vertices to give us the edges we need.

then we will realign these funky ones here:

so it looks more like this:

(with eddie izzard voice in my head) with them all straightened up, we can go and select the faces, and extrude them a bit like so:

you won't need to extrude it that much.

Now. Earlier I talked about removing faces we don't need. this is one of those points. and here it lets me teach you something nice as well.

These are the faces we will remove/ combine:
except all round the waist.
we can do this fairly easily... go into edge selection mode, select an edge:

and hit the loop button.

hit remove button (do not press delete)
and it will remove the edges, but leave the vertices. go into vertex selection mode, select them and "remove" the ones we don't want.

If you press control as you hit the remove button, it will remove the edges and the vertices at the same time, how useful :D

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 pm 
Fallen from grace

We will add a bit more shape to the torso and belt. Using the reference pic behind... we will move the vertices accordingly. If its it too blurry, you can go into:

Customize, preferences, viewport tab, click the configure driver button and then increase the background and download texture sizes. Save, close and reopen max and it should look better. If its still blurry then find a higher resolution picture :D

The arrows indicate how i've moved the vertices. Don't worry if you get a funky bit of mesh (shown in green) as that can be fixed soon.

The belt is quite thin. You could however spend years making it perfect but it should go with out saying, i'm not a perfectionist. I'm happy with it for now. We will model the rib cage a bit more.

Select these vertices, front and back:

Add a FFD 3*3*3. Select the middle points while in the front facing view port and raise them, then the side ones and lower them a bit till you have a nice rib line. Like so:

You should be getting the idea of how useful FFD is by now so I wont hold your hand with it too much any more, but I'll still post up pics for you to look at.

Now would be a good time to convert it to an editable poly to keep all our changes, so right click the object, and select convert to editable poly.

next we will add a some more pollies to the chest itself so get the edges and use connect so we can have something to work with.

we will use FFD to give it more of a round spherical shape, while the sides are more flatter for the arms to go onto.

Here's the side pic for the kind of shape you want. as the front is already round in shape, you wont really need to worry about it.

Next we will make the "collar" with insets and extrusions. Add the edit poly modifier when your happy with the chest shape and then select the face at the top and hit the inset button.
It may look funky at first but we will sort that out next.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm 
Fallen from grace

With a few insets, and then extrusions...

This is another time where we can save on poly count, and still keep a reasonably good shape to the torso.

We will "target weld" the red coloured vertices downwards to its green equivalent:

This ill give a smoother chestplate nearer to the top, like the mini.

we will also target weld these vertices to where the arrows point:

we will end up with something like:

we will neaten them out a bit too :

I've pulled down the collar vertices a bit, and grabbed a few of the side ones and shifted them out to give the sides a bit more of a flatter appearance.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm 
Fallen from grace

We will "connect" these vertices, as the poly quads are at a funny angle, if they get connected another way when the engine builds the vertices ingame, it will look like it has an indentation in the mesh, and we don't want that.

this is what i mean by the indentation:

See how the light reflect differently on it compared to the other side.

We will now connect the edges on the waist, so when it gets rigged, the stomach will deform better. Should only need one:

next we will start working on the back, and that involves a lot more planning. so i will post that up when i figure how to go about it :D

This is what the back looks like if you are confident enough to have a go yourself :)

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 pm 
Fallen from grace

Ok, I can't be fussed with the back at the moment, ill get to that later, so heres a start out on the legs.

Starting with a positioned cylinder, add an edit poly modifer but don't collapse the stack. Then add FFDs and tweak them so the mesh conforms to the shape here:

You can then go back to the cylinder and change how many sides and segments it has untill you are happy, and it will update all the way through the modifiers. i am using an 8 sided cylinder with 4 height segments.

You can do the same with this part of the leg too, though you'll need more than one FFD modifier to get the shape you want. i used a 3x3x3 to get the basic shape then a 6x6x6 to get a more tweakable one.

Ask about the mod.