Dawn of Warhammer 40,000: Firestorm Over Kaurava

The definitive Table Top conversion mod for Dawn of War.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ] 
 Post subject: Information Needed on Exclusive Modifiers and Coding Issues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 pm 
Chosen

I need to know exactly how Exclusive Modifiers work in Corsix. I've searched around and came up empty handed. I'm not asking for just for a specific case, I need to know everything about it.

At the moment, what I am curious about is whether Fearless units/Walkers can be given increased speed, and then an exclusive modifier to lower their speed back to normal levels, effectively making them immune to the effects of pinning.

Post subject: Re: Information Needed on Exclusive Modifiers and Coding Iss
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 pm 
Fallen from grace

Exclusive means that it can only be applied once, any other effect of the same type is then ignored.

So a speed buff can't be added to another speed buff that's already active.

other modifers will apply though unless there's an exclusive of that type too.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:53 pm 
Chosen

Now non-exclusive modifiers. Do they stack with each other or simply refresh?

Say if I fire a reload 6 sniper with a 100% chance to slow by 25% that lasts 12 seconds at your Captain. If I shoot you again, does that mean you'll be slowed by 50% for the remaining 6 seconds and then 25% from the second shot? Or does it mean that remaining six seconds of 25% slow go back up to 12 seconds?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm 
Fallen from grace

It refreshes I think. it will probably stack when different abilities that do the same type of thing though. At least that's how I remember it. I haven't coded dow 1 in ages:D

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
Chosen

Thanks for the swift response, Horus. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:39 am 
Chosen

Got a coding issue: What's up with the Prism Cannon? It has dispersed, focused, contributed versions, and a regular _prism_cannon. I recognize the weapon groups but does contributed actually work or ever worked? If so then how?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
Fallen from grace

best way is to look for any modifers the entity/squad has( check its abilities and weapons too)

I'd imagine that it uses a weapon modifier somewhere to improve another squad somewhere. at least that's how i'd code it.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:00 am 
Chosen

I have a question about how the WAAAGH gauge in Vanilla DoW works. Is it being used for anything? Is it tied to Population Cap? If both are no then why not use that to enforce 1 HQ and 2 Troops?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 am 
Chosen

Urgh Waaagh is a pain in the ass.

Yes, it's tied to the Population Cap, it's the resource_population counter. I think.

And it can be used to create a working third resource for all Relic races (so, excluding Black Templars and the like).

My blog | Twitter | Steam

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:44 pm 
High Marshall

Ignore what gorb said :P

I suppose you talk about the Waaagh power up bar in the UI right?
That is tied to the "total pop level" which is a sum of the "mob values" of all the units you have in game at that time, the required pop level for each graphical change on the bar can be controlled with the ui.lua found in the "attrib/tunning" folder

None of this aside the mob value was used in FoK, which is mainly used to lock upgrades in squads unless you have a minimum of troopers. For example CSM have heavy weapons locked until it reach 10 members. Tau drones HP and Armour is determined by the squad it joins via mob value. Orks still use it to unlock the power of waaagh...etc.

Now all this "mob value" "total pop level" has no hardcoded relation to the pop resource in the luas. You can very well use the "pop resource" as a 3rd resource for all races, even custom races like Black Templars, while using the "mob value"/"pop levels" for something completely different.

What Gorb might wanted to said about issues with non relic races, is in the case of the UI, by default the "ork pop/waagh" UI part is attached exclusively to the ork race, and all relic original races can have these exclusive special bidings, however there is way to bypass this and allow any race to have the thing, yes even custom ones like BT, and is by setting it in the "other_races" special bidings.

I guess that with enough editing in the gamescreen.screen and taskbar.ui there can be made very cool things with it.

And all this UI trouble is ofcourse only if you want to show the pop resource and waaagh bars.

About the 1 HQ 2 troops, could be achieved in many ways i think.

1.- pop resource, make the race have an insane pop income but with a capacity of 0, then make HQs and Troops increase the capacity, lets say by 1 each, finally make every other FoC types squad have a cost pop of 3. So in theory you'll always have pop resource as long as you have troops and HQs due of the insane pop income...of course having "2 HQ and 1 troops" or "3 troops" would give the same result.

2.- mob value and pop requirement, remove the current uses of mob value, and change it so only HQs and Troops have the mob value, then other FoC types have the "required_population" requirement equal to the value that 1 HQ and 2 Troops give you...can have same issues as above.

3.- Scar Code, similar to the Dedicated transport thing, but this last one may cause heavy lag :/

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:59 pm 
Chosen

Melooo wrote:
Ignore what gorb said :P
Ignore what I said, correct. I misread what he said :)

Quote:
What Gorb might wanted to said about issues with non relic races, is in the case of the UI, by default the "ork pop/waagh" UI part is attached exclusively to the ork race, and all relic original races can have these exclusive special bidings, however there is way to bypass this and allow any race to have the thing, yes even custom ones like BT, and is by setting it in the "other_races" special bidings.

I guess that with enough editing in the gamescreen.screen and taskbar.ui there can be made very cool things with it.

And all this UI trouble is ofcourse only if you want to show the pop resource and waaagh bars.
Mmm, except that the "other" binding has it's own issues in that whatever you define under "other" applies to all races that aren't defined by name.

And no, that's not what I was on about at all. I was saying that attaching specific race bindings to new races, for example Black Templars, will then be applied to ALL races that use the "other" binding.

So basically if you have stuff defined under "other", it will apply to Black Templars, Tyranids, Steel_Legion, WH_AS and Squats, assuming you added those five races to the modification.

This is the major drawback with the taskbar, and one I haven't been able to get around despite hefty research into how it works.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Infernal Tester

Fuegan wrote:
If both are no then why not use that to enforce 1 HQ and 2 Troops?

Because if we really wanted to enforce it we would make the races start with a basic hero and adjust starting Req acordingly?

Sure you may claim "ah but what if I don't want to start with HQ X", but then I point out players also don't get to choose their starting infantry. Some people would probably prefer double scouts, and other people may prefer basic cheaper guardsmen squads instead of grenadiers, or perhaps double CSM instead of CSM+cultists. And orks certainly aren't happy with a grot squad instead of another boyz squad.

So if we're making fixed starting infantry, we may as well make fixed starting hero.

And if they die, well, you don't lose a TT game just because your hero bites it (except forfoolish unlucky tau players wich took an Ethereal). The rest of your force can still keep fighting just fine HQ or no HQ, so I see no reason to enforce the replacement of lost HQs.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:57 pm 
Chosen

As always, thanks for the speedy responses. I also considered that the pop cap wouldn't be able to distinguish between HQs and Troops. I think it would be an interesting topic for discussion if it should be implemented or not. I'll probably wait until I release it before I started messing with that though, I don't want to make something that can upset the balance of the game so drastically on a whim like that.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:00 pm 
Chosen

This isn't the thread for discussing balance, Onard, read the subject line. If you want to discuss this, make a new thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
Chosen

How does the Get_back_up Health ext distinguish between weapons with AP2/1 or double toughness vs other weapons? If it doesn't, then isn't there a modifier for this, like health_get_back_up_modifier or health_resurrect_modifier?

I'm asking because we can add these to those types of weapons and tie them with FNP as well. For the Resurrection Orb, we can make the modifier exclusive so these units will be unaffected.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm 
High Marshall

That particular rule, was kinda achieved by adding the following code:
Code:
GameData["area_effect"]["weapon_damage"]["modifiers"]["modifier_01"]["max_lifetime"] = 8.00000
GameData["area_effect"]["weapon_damage"]["modifiers"]["modifier_01"]["modifier"] = Reference([[modifiers\health_get_back_up_modifier.lua]])
GameData["area_effect"]["weapon_damage"]["modifiers"]["modifier_01"]["modifier"]["application_type"] = Reference([[type_modifierapplicationtype\tp_mod_apply_to_entity.lua]])
GameData["area_effect"]["weapon_damage"]["modifiers"]["modifier_01"]["modifier"]["usage_type"] = Reference([[type_modifierusagetype\tp_mod_usage_percentage.lua]])
GameData["area_effect"]["weapon_damage"]["modifiers"]["modifier_01"]["modifier"]["value"] = -0.50000

to all S9-10 (S8 wasnt included cause there are some necrons with S5) AP1/AP2/Power weapons (anything that would ignore neks armour).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm 
Infernal Tester

Ah, I knew something was badly implemented after all!

Codex-wise WBB isn't stoped by ranged weapons just because they have AP1/2. It is only prevented by either melee weapons that ignore the necron's armor or any weapons with double the Str of the necron's toughness. So stuff like plasma guns and should still allow a necron to get back. It's a significant advantage over FNP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm 
Chosen

FnP, last time I checked, worked in exactly the same way. Unless something changed in 5ed that made it vulnerable to AP1 weaponry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm 
Infernal Tester

Don't have my main rulebook at hand now, but here confirms that in 5e feel no pain can't save you if you're hit by a ranged weapon with AP 1 or 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm 
Chosen

Well I checked the Chaos Battlecannon and a couple other weapons and I didn't see that modifier. Thanks Melooo.

Onard is right but the get back up animation is a huge liability in games. I'd like to fix it afterwards in the 2nd release... if the first one ever gets done :-p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 am 
High Marshall

ain't the battlecannon S8 AP3?

anyway what i said about ranged AP1-2 is wrong, those weapons never got that modifier, sorry for the false information xD, so yeah the code is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:25 pm 
Chosen

Yes it is Melooo. S8 is double toughness, meaning it should have it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:13 pm 
High Marshall

Doubles toughness of Warriors but there are necrons with T5 like the lord and immortals too i think, so it would be unfair for these to get their WBB denied by S8 weapons, It sucks i know but perhaps S8 could then just decrease the WBB chance by 25%.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm 
Chosen

Nah, I think it's fair. The Lord can get phylactery that probably brings his WBB up to 75% (haven't checked) and he can get a rex orb which would deny those weapons anyway. And no one uses Immortals and wins anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:19 pm 
Infernal Tester

Fuegan wrote:
Nah, I think it's fair. The Lord can get phylactery that probably brings his WBB up to 75% (haven't checked) and he can get a rex orb which would deny those weapons anyway. And no one uses Immortals and wins anyway.

true and red = too dam true.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 pm 
Infernal Tester

Fuegan wrote:

On the contrary, most of the games I won with necrons, they were victories thanks to the immortals. Their extra range and dakka is an invaluable part for any necron force.

There's also all the destroyers that have improved toughness.

Besides there were never complains about necrons respawning too much on the last edtiions. Why would you want to nerf them even more?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 am 
Chosen

You're full of ****, Onard. Immortals have the same range as warriors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 pm 
Infernal Tester

Indeed, I confused it with better AP. Gauss blasters have S 5 and AP 4 and are assault 2 in comparison with S 4, AP 5 and rapid fire of the regular gauss rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm 
Chosen

Would it be possible to have Gone to Ground as an ability like Run! ? If made as an ability, we could then have pinning weapons have a chance of triggering said ability through modifiers if I understand the code correctly. Units that are fearless wouldn't have that ability so would be immune to the modifier.

We could make the modifier's chance for triggering very low and depending on how easily the weapon can inflict a wound (taking Strength, AP, and blast into account). When the unit becomes 'pinned', they automatically break morale and the ability itself could make them immobile and unable to fire.

Then to counteract units that have high leadership or re-roll Leadership tests from being easily suppressed, we could have regrouping eliminate all modifiers from the unit. If this makes pinning too powerful, we could have units that break be immune to morale damage AND/OR have them automatically recover half of their max morale in a fixed amount of time depending on Leadership. This would make leadership, squad leaders, and attached commanders play a huge role in the game. Being able to make an assault squad fearless with a chaplain against an enemy spamming snipers could make him worth his cost and even preferable over the other HQ units. Example: Lds 8 with say 800 morale could recover 400 morale in five second, so no matter how hard they were being attacked, they would be unpinned in 5 seconds. Lds 10 could unpin at 3 seconds, as a rough comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 pm 
Infernal Tester

Well if you can code all that stuff in, sounds like a great plan to me. Altough I see a great bug potential.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 pm 
Chosen

Ok, more questions:

1. Can enable_*insert* be made to trigger randomly just by making it a decimal rather than a 1 or -1, correct? I don't see anything that wouldn't allow that to work but they aren't modifiers so Idk.

2. If yes, then could this be applied to cover using enable_health_damage? Rather than be damage reductions, they simply have a chance to completely nullify any single shot. The only problem I see with this is that units that normally already take their armor saves would basically be getting two saves, although that is no different now, really. Units that have stealth or affect cover saves somehow would be given the same thing, and if gone to ground is implemented, then that too, with the modifier being addition.

3. Wtf is aftermath_modifier, or just aftermath in general?

4. How does armour_minimum_modifier work? Am I right in thinking that we can use this for invuls? (prolly not) If not, then could armour_piercing_weapon_modifier work for that, even just for units with invuls? (The only weapon in the game that ignores invuls now are warscythes so we can probably think of a way around that, maybe like -0.2 to all armour types and then mod it from there since it even gets 2d6 vs vehicles meaning it is always getting at least 20% of the damage in regardless of armour type).

5. Does the game keep track of decimals for requisition and power?

6. Why is there both modifiers\health_rangedamage_received_1_modifier.lua and modifiers\health_rangedamage_received_2_modifier.lua?

And yeah, I think I might be out of things to ask, at least until it is finally released.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm 
Infernal Tester

Couldn't we code armor7invulnerable saves as a random chance of blocking damage as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:08 pm 
Fallen from grace

1. don't think it works like that, though i havent thought of it that way and tried it, so who knows.

Quote:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?231068-HH-OE-Tutorial-Aftermath_Ext-extension-and-how-to-add-it-%28victory-poses%29

Aftermath.

4. units can be assigned armour, but its not used in fok, it doesn't really work well of any the other mechanics much, simply because it makes the unit a lot tougher and works in a funky way with weapon damages. You'll have to experiment with it a bit to see what i mean.

5. decimals are used in virtually everything so should be.

6. IIRC, its damage versus the 1st armour type, and damage against the second armour type, as things can have 2.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
Chosen

Much thanks, Horus. I'll play around with those modifiers once I have a little less on my plate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 pm 
Chosen

Alright, sorry I keep asking questions... :?

I don't think I did this right so I need to ask: If I want something to disable certain abilities and to allow a few exceptions, do I put the 'enable_abilities_target_type_name' into the thing that is doing the disabling (melee attacks) or can I put it under the ability I don't want to be disabled?

Sorry if I worded this to be confusing. If you read the last post I made in the 3.7 thread, you might have a better understanding of what I want to do. I want it so that units with Counter-Attack can use the Run! ability (which I am dual-purposing as charge as well) while being hit in melee which would normally disable that ability for other units. If I make the unit with counter-attack immune to ability disabling altogether then they'll still be able to use their other abilities (which would usually only consist of grenades anyway which wouldn't be a huge advantage). I just want to be able to simulate it the best I can if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 am 
High Marshall

Horus wrote:
6. IIRC, its damage versus the 1st armour type, and damage against the second armour type, as things can have 2.

don't think is that, that modif was in since 1st DOW, armour_2 code was added in WA, according to Old modding gurus and Dow modding wiki is was supposed to be used for damage dealt by abilities.

However after googling a bit, according to this discussion, the modifier apparently does same thing as "health_rangedamage_received_1_modifier".

EDIT:
The only easy to find difference between those two modif is their limits in vanilla code

Taken from modifiers_cap.lua tuning file
Code:
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_1_modifier"] = Reference([[tables\modifier_cap_table.lua]])
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_1_modifier"]["maximum_multiplier"] = 3.00000
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_1_modifier"]["minimum_multiplier"] = 0.00000
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_2_modifier"] = Reference([[tables\modifier_cap_table.lua]])
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_2_modifier"]["maximum_multiplier"] = 1.50000
GameData["health_rangedamage_received_2_modifier"]["minimum_multiplier"] = 0.00100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 am 
Fallen from grace

well best way is too see is having two different armour types and seeing with the modifiers. At least that's what I used it for, and armour type modifier 2 was added in dark crusade. I think curse of the machine spirit may use it a bit.

Ask about the mod.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:46 pm 
Chosen

I'm pretty sure the second modifier does nothing. At least, nothing that has been documented.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Chosen

I got a question if the '--' part of the following is possible in that form or in another, similar form such as research or alike.

File: 'ebps\races\eldar\structures\eldar_aspect_portal.lua'

GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_01"] = "addons\\eldar_aspect_stone_scorpions.lua"
GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_02"] = "addons\\eldar_aspect_stone_dark_reapers.lua"
GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_03"] = "addons\\eldar_aspect_stone_warp_spider.lua"
GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_04"] = "addons\\eldar_aspect_stone_fire_dragon.lua"
GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_05"] = "addons\\eldar_aspect_stone_banshees.lua"
--GameData["addon_ext"]["addons"]["addon_limit"] = 3.000000

I made up addon limit, it probably doesn't exist. i just wanted to give you an example of what I'm trying to do. 5 choices of units with only 3 being unlockable per Aspect Portal.

I know (well pretty sure) that vanilla Imperial Guard can take either the Kaserkin or Ogryn Quarters per bunker but I saw no signs of how to do that in Corsix.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:03 am 
Chosen

Making up stuff does nothing, I'm afraid. What you propose is impossible unless you use researches (which are global) with the research_limit code.

The Kasrkin/Ogryn addons are done via mutually exclusive addons that lock out one or the other, dependent on the one purchased. You can't extend this requirement to account for additional addons (I've tried).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:14 am 
Chosen

Alright, I got a crazy idea with a few assumptions I'm going to test out. It involves the armor (like the one the Venerable Dread used to have) attribute we never use. It's basically making Toughness and Vehicle armor an armor between 0-380 and weapon strength is armor pierce. The Armor Piercing Tables would only hold saves and invuls along with rear armor specifics. This frees up about 11 spaces on the table which can be used to specifically define multi-wound units so that they take the appropriate amount of damage from instant death.

This comes with a few assumptions: One is that armor 100 is effectively immune to damage. This means that after armor piercing, the value is at 100 (so with the current weapons with 100 piercing, hitting something with 200 armor brings it down to 100 but still makes it immune to damage).

The second is that armor values don't go any lower than 0 and that 0 is simply regular damage. Basically, so the value never becomes negative and stays at zero even if it should be lower. Each weapon gets +20 armor pierce per strength, starting from S2 at 0 armor pierce. Thus, toughness scales the same way with +20 armor per point of Toughness as well.

Here's an example of how it would work using a bolter (S4) with its current damage of 30-40, so average 35. It would have 40 armor piercing:

__________________(before sv)___TT Roll____Remaining
Toughness___Armor___Damage___to Wound____Armor
T1__________10_______35________2+________-30
T2__________30_______35________2+________-10
T3__________50_______31.5_______3+________10
T4__________70_______24.5_______4+________30
T5__________90_______17.5_______5+________50
T6__________110______10.5_______6+________70
T7__________130______3.5________6+________90
T8__________150______0__________-_________110
T9__________170______0__________-_________130
T10_________190______0__________-_________150

^^^ That wasn't originally how I had planned but I had to adjust it because I thought units were immune at 200 armor, When it was theoretically 100. I made this chart pretty quick so it's jsut a rough draft. My original table was more accurate.
Vehicle Armor would work like this, with no specific weapon against it:

__Tabletop_________________________
Armor Value_________________Armor__
AV10________________________120
AV10.5_______________________130
AV11________________________140
AV11.5_______________________150
AV12_________________________160
AV12.5_______________________170
AV13_________________________180
AV13.5_______________________190
AV14_________________________200

This idea just needs to be tested. Whether it works or not, I'm not going to be doing it for DC 3.7. I've done a lot of work to just go back to square one. If this idea works, then Ark will probably code it for Soulstorm.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]